WitandSin

Wit and Sin

Down for the Count (Dare Me Series, #1)
Christine Bell

Review: The Man Plan by Tracy Anne Warren

The Man Plan - Tracy Anne Warren

The Man Plan is a book with a cute (though awfully familiar) premise that ultimately falls short in execution. I really wanted to enjoy Ivy and James’s story, but the soap opera-light feel of the book simply wasn’t for me and it wasn’t until almost the very end that I liked the heroine at all.

Ivy has had a crush on James for as long as she can remember, but he’s always treated her like a kid sister. He’s fifteen years older than her, a successful businessman, and he’s not too keen on opening his heart to another Grayson woman after Ivy’s sister broke his heart and left him at the altar. Ivy’s determined to make James see her as a woman, and she sets out to ensnare him and make him love her. Where this plan breaks down (for me) is Ivy herself. She’s a nice girl, but is slightly spoiled, something that’s never really addressed. She’s had everything in life handed to her, making it hard to feel any sympathy for her for the whole week that things don’t go her way. Though she claims she’s a woman, in reality this twenty-year-old still acts like a teenager, making it hard for me to swallow the age gap between her and James. I’ve read books with significant age gaps between hero and heroine before, but never before have I read a story where the maturity levels between the two protagonists are so significant. As for James, I felt like we only got to see the surface of his character, and I really wanted to go deeper. As a couple, they never quite rang true for me until the very end. Fortunately author Tracy Anne Warren finishes The Man Planstrong, but two chapters of solid story doesn’t make up for an entire book of high school-like seduction plans and sob fests.

The saving grace of The Man Plan is the story’s minor characters. Ivy’s sister Brie is smart, hardworking, and interesting and I wanted to learn more about her. There’s also the beginnings of a plot thread concerning Ivy’s brother and sister-in-law. I desperately wanted to follow said storyline, but unfortunately it was never fully fleshed out. All in all, The Man Plansimply wasn’t the book for me. I simply couldn’t suspend disbelief long enough to buy a true romance between a mid-thirties, mature businessman and an immature heroine, no matter how lovely or love struck she is. I’m not sure I’ll be reading any more books in the Graysons series, but who knows? Brie Grayson might just tempt me into giving this series another shot.

FTC Disclosure: I received this book for free from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

Source: http://witandsin.blogspot.com/2014/07/review-man-plan-by-tracy-anne-warren.html