WitandSin

Wit and Sin

Review: The Heir of the Castle by Scarlet Wilson

The Heir of the Castle - Scarlet Wilson

An unusual potential inheritance bring together a London lawyer and a Scottish social media tycoon in The Heir of the Castle. Author Scarlet Wilson charmed me with this sweet, enjoyable romance and her two endearing protagonists.

Laurie’s a heroine who captured my interest and garnered my sympathy early on. She’s an overworked lawyer who’s stressed out and burned-out thanks to the job she never really wanted. She goes to Annick Castle looking for family and a change of environment but finds more than she bargained for. It was fun watching Laurie fall for not only Callan, but the life she could have if she inherited the castle. And speaking of Callan, he too is torn from what he knows when he learns that the man he thought of as a father didn’t leave him the castle that had long been his home. Callan is understandably wary of not only Laurie but all the potential inheritors, most of whom are money-grubbing and callous. Both Callan and Laurie come into their own over the course of The Heir of the Castle and it was lovely watching them develop both as people and as a couple. The two of them complement each other perfectly and it was easy to become invested in their story.

While the question of who will inherit Annick Castle – Laurie or one of her unknown relatives – plays through the back of the story, it’s not the driving force of the novel. The murder mystery game that’s supposed to determine who gets the castle isn’t really explored, nor are Laurie’s relatives major characters in the book. I would have liked to see a bit more of this plot thread, as it had potential and seemed like fun, but The Heir of the Castle is truly about Laurie and Callan’s journeys. As it stands, I really likedThe Heir of the Castle and I’m looking forward to reading more of Ms. Wilson’s work.

FTC Disclosure: I received this book for free from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

Source: http://witandsin.blogspot.com/2014/04/review-heir-of-castle-by-scarlet-wilson.html