WitandSin

Wit and Sin

Down for the Count (Dare Me Series, #1)
Christine Bell

Review: Three Weeks With Lady X by Eloisa James

Three Weeks With Lady X - Eloisa James

My review cross-posted from Joyfully Reviewed: http://www.joyfullyreviewed.com/new-reviews/three-weeks-lady-x-eloisa-james/

Tobias “Thorn” Dautry is the eldest illegitimate child of the Duke of Villiers.  Having made his fortune, Thorn is determined to marry a certain kind of woman, one whose reputation and lineage will seal his place in society.  But if he hopes to wed his chosen lady, Laetitia Rainsford, he’ll have to essentially woo her fastidious mother as well.  Thorn’s never been one to put on a civilized front, but he has to do so now.  Which is why his stepmother recommends he hire Lady Xenobia India St. Claire.

The daughter of a deceased marquess largely perceived to be mad, India is ready to settle down herself.  She’s secured her fortune working as an interior designer and professional organizer and is ready to retire.  The only reason she agrees to help Thorn is that she’s friends with his stepmother.  But when she meets Thorn, India is determined to give this diamond in the rough some polish.  What she doesn’t expect is to desire the man.  Thorn is determined to marry another and he’ll only break her heart.  She really mustn’t fall for him…

Three Weeks With Lady X sparkles with wit and simmers with sensuality.  I absolutely adored India and Thorn.  Their verbal sparring had me laughing out loud even as I eagerly turned the pages, waiting for their mutual attraction to deepen into something more.

Thorn had a hard life growing up until his father found him.  His time as a mudlark has shaped him into the man he is today, and he’s determined to find a sweet, caring wife who will never abandon their future children.  Thorn sells himself short by choosing Laetitia; she’s perfectly likeable and dim like people believe, but is definitely not the woman for him.  India is Thorn’s match on every level.  She too had a harsh childhood, one that has left her scarred and very much in need of love.  I just loved India – she’s intelligent, practical, and kind.  Thorn’s resistance to risking his heart causes him to make mistakes with her, but Eloisa James makes their sometimes rocky road to happily ever after well worth any bumps on the journey.

Though Three Weeks With Lady X is the seventh book in the Desperate Duchesses series, it can easily be read as a standalone.  The book’s only connection to the previous books is that Villiers and Eleanor (the hero and heroine of A Duke of Her Own) are Thorn’s father and stepmother.  That being said, if you loved those two it’ll be a treat to revisit them.  Ms. James also introduces a new character, Thorn’s friend Vander, in this book and I desperately hope he gets his own story.

There’s a reason Eloisa James is one of my favorite romance authors – her books are always fun, steamy, and deliciously entertaining.  Three Weeks With Lady X is all of these things and more.  Historical romance fans, don’t miss this one!

Source: http://www.joyfullyreviewed.com/new-reviews/three-weeks-lady-x-eloisa-james