WitandSin

Wit and Sin

Down for the Count (Dare Me Series, #1)
Christine Bell

Review: Midnight Pursuits by Elle Kennedy

Midnight Pursuits - Elle Kennedy

Blockbuster-level action abounds in Midnight Pursuits! Elle Kennedy has once again expertly blended seriously steamy passion with edgy romantic suspense in her fourth Killer Instincts novel and I loved it.

Ethan is the Captain America of Jim Morgan’s mercenaries. He’s honorable, a gentleman, and essentially looks and acts like the boy next door. He’s also dangerous as hell and twice as sexy. I loved Ethan from the start – how could I not? Juliet, on the other hand, took some time to get to know. She’s physically and emotionally wounded when we first see her in Midnight Pursuits, and it takes some time to get past the abrasive front she puts up. Juliet doesn’t magically become the ultra-warm and nurturing type, but rather Ms. Kennedy shows the true Juliet, one who is undeniably deadly and guards her heart, but who is also fiercely loyal and cares deeply for those she’s given said loyalty to. Though Juliet tries to deny her attraction to Ethan, and tries to play down his abilities based on the fact that he’s twenty-five, she can only leave the blinders on for so long. And when they come off…watch out – Ethan and Juliet as a couple are hot enough to burn. Whether they’re taking down corrupt, murderous politicians or circling the sexual tension that simmers between them, Juliet and Ethan are great together.

Midnight Pursuits is the fourth Killer Instincts book, but you don’t have to have read Midnight RescueMidnight Alias, or Midnight Games to follow along. However, if you’re a fan of the series you’ll be pleased to know that some of your favorite mercenaries and assassins play strong supporting roles. I loved revisiting past heroes and heroines (even if it’s only a brief mention), and man, oh man I’m more intrigued than ever by (hopefully future heroes) Sully and Liam. What’s more, Ethan and Juliet’s bosses, badass Jim Morgan and “queen of assassins” Noelle, are complete scene stealers, particularly when they’re together. If you’re like me and have been dying to learn about Jim and Noelle’s history, then be warned that Midnight Pursuits is only going to up your craving for information.

Midnight Pursuits is a gripping story that’s fast-paced, dark, red-hot, and wholly entertaining. I finished Ethan and Juliet’s book a well-satisfied reader, but I’m on tenterhooks waiting for the next Killer Instincts novel. I’d expect nothing less from Elle Kennedy, who’s proved herself over and over again as a master of romantic suspense.

FTC Disclosure: I received this book for free from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

Source: http://witandsin.blogspot.com/2014/03/review-midnight-pursuits-by-elle-kennedy.html