WitandSin

Wit and Sin

Down for the Count (Dare Me Series, #1)
Christine Bell

Review: Cairo Caper by Barbara Silkstone

Cairo Caper - Barbara Silkstone

There’s never a dull moment in Cairo Caper. Author Barbara Silkstone’s third Wendy Darlin Tomb Raider adventure is filled with pratfalls, pith helmets, killer ashtrays, mismatched shoes, and tongue-in-cheek film references. It’s less Indiana Jones and more Three Stooges, which isn’t a bad thing if you’re a fan of non-stop slapstick.

I went into Cairo Caper hoping for a comedic Lara Croft meets The Mummy story, and came out disappointed. It’s a sad fact that no book will charm every single reader, and Cairo Caper was a miss for me. For the most part, I liked Wendy Darlin, former real estate broker turned tomb raider, but unfortunately she was the only character who had more than one dimension. Perhaps I’m at a disadvantage when it comes to connecting with Wendy’s lover, Roger Jolley, as I haven’t read the first two books in the series (Wendy and the Lost Boys and London Broil), but I felt he was uninteresting. The cast of mostly irritating secondary characters were one-note as well, and I simply didn’t find humor in the clingy, dim librarian Fiona or Roger’s ex, Darcy, who also had the unfortunate side-effect of bringing out Wendy’s catty side (I cannot think of one scene in the story where Wendy didn’t snark about Darcy’s weight).

Issues with the characters aside, I did enjoy the pace of the story and Wendy and Roger’s quest for Cleopatra’s tomb did have its exciting moments. Although Cairo Caper wasn’t my cup of tea and I don’t connect with Ms. Silkstone’s brand of humor, I do recommend the story to fans of extremely zany adventures.

FTC Disclosure: I received this book for free from the author. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

Source: http://witandsin.blogspot.com/2014/03/review-cairo-caper-by-barbara-silkstone.html