WitandSin

Wit and Sin

Down for the Count (Dare Me Series, #1)
Christine Bell

Review: Concealed in Death by J.D. Robb

Concealed in Death - J.D. Robb

Blue Ribbon Rating: 4.5 out of 5

Original Review Link

It’s almost Christmas, but billionaire businessman Roarke’s day starts off as anything but merry and bright. When swinging a sledgehammer to start demolition on a long-vacant property he’s purchased, Roarke uncovers two skeletons wrapped in plastic. No matter how old the homicide is, there’s only one thing for Roarke to do: call his wife, NYPSD Lieutenant Eve Dallas.

By the time the NYPSD has finished searching the building, twelve bodies have been uncovered. Determining the victims’ identities and cause of death is only the beginning of the mystery. The victims are all young teenage girls who seemingly had little in common. Their only connection is to the building, a place that was once called The Sanctuary, a shelter for troubled teens about fifteen years ago. Being a cold case doesn’t stop Eve from putting everything she has into finding who killed and concealed twelve girls.

Concealed in Death is a wonderful puzzle of a story. Author J.D. Robb takes a different route in this thirty-eighth full-length installment of her wildly popular In Death series, and I really enjoyed the change of pace. Concealed in Death marks one of the rare times we get to see Eve work a cold case, yet, though there is no sense of immediate danger, the book is still compelling. I loved watching Eve put together the pieces of the puzzle that is the girls’ murder, particularly since she has to start with nothing but skeletons and an abandoned property. Each girl’s story that she uncovers is fascinating in its own right, and I, like Eve, wanted to see the killer brought to justice. Even if you can guess what happened, it’s the journey rather than the outcome that makes the story shine.

Concealed in Death is one of the more case-centric books, but that doesn’t mean Ms. Robb skimps on the personal moments. We delve into the backstory of one of the series' most beloved characters, and there’s a truly touching moment between Eve and Dennis Mira. These small moments – the kind that bring tears to the eye – are a large part of why I love the In Death series so much. Every layer added to the characters means something when you’re invested in a series this long-running. Whether you’re a fan of Eve, Roarke and their friends or simply love a good puzzle, Concealed in Death is sure to entertain.

Note: My review was written for Romance Junkies and is cross-posted here courtesy of Romance Junkies.

Source: http://romancejunkiesreviews.com/artman/publish/paranormal/Concealed_in_Death.shtml