WitandSin

Wit and Sin

Down for the Count (Dare Me Series, #1)
Christine Bell
White Knight - Mari Carr My review cross-posted here courtesy of Joyfully Reviewed: http://www.joyfullyreviewed.com/new-reviews/white-knight-by-mari-carr

Shea Landon needed a fresh start, but being homeless in LA isn’t exactly what she had in mind. She’s just started working at the fetish club Scoundrels, but she doesn’t have enough money to find a place to live or even stay at a hotel in a safe part of the city. So when she spies the big, comfy bed used as a stage prop, Shea takes a risk and starts living at the club. Shea doesn’t think anyone will notice if she’s careful. Except someone does…

Travis Knight is shocked when he sees his newest employee taking up residence in Scoundrels. He should call the police, but instead he keeps watch over Shea through the security monitors. Then a twist of fate brings Travis out from the shadows and into Shea’s life. But though attraction sparks instantly between the pair, Travis bears unseen scars that keep him from being able to give himself unreservedly to Shea. And the tragedy that haunts him might make Travis retreat until all he has is fantasies.

White Knight packs a punch with its blend of eroticism and heartbreak. Travis stole my heart in the first Scoundrels story, Black Jack, and I was eager to find out what keeps him separated from the rest of the world. Travis can’t bear to be touched unless he initiates it and his struggle with wanting to have Shea touching him but not being able to handle it tugged on my heartstrings. It takes a strong heroine to match a hero like Travis, and Shea definitely has a spine of steel. She’s been thrown hard knocks right and left all her life, but she doesn’t let any of it break her. She comes into her own over the course of White Knight, and it was a joy to watch her develop.

White Knight isn’t all angst, however. Mari Carr’s signature sensuality definitely heats up the tale! Between Travis’s fantasies and the erotic games he and Shea play, White Knight sizzles almost nonstop. All in all, I found White Knight to be an original, entertaining story. As someone who’s been looking forward to White Knight ever since I read Black Jack, I can safely say that Ms. Carr does not disappoint!