WitandSin

Wit and Sin

Down for the Count (Dare Me Series, #1)
Christine Bell
The Cinderella substitute - Nell Dixon My review is cross-posted from Joyfully Reviewed: http://www.joyfullyreviewed.com/new-reviews/the-cinderella-substitute-by-nell-dixon

A survivor of a tragic car accident that killed his fiancée, Nate doesn’t feel that he should ever get involved with another woman. That’s why he gets along so well with his personal assistant, Jenni. Jenni knows that having dinner together just means having dinner together, not anything romantic. But lately Nate can’t seem to stop himself from noticing how desirable Jenni is. And when Jenni, whose adoptive parents are deceased, finds her birth mother, Nate inserts himself into her personal life – just to watch out for her as a friend, of course. However, the more time Nate spends with Jenni, the more their unspoken attraction to one another threatens to surface. Will Nate continue to bury his feelings for Jenni?

The Cinderella Substitute is a modern day fairytale, sans any magic but love. Jenni is the titular Cinderella. She’s a hard worker and has sacrificed much for her adoptive parents, both who sound like they had been less than loving. All Jenni truly wants is someone to love her, someone she can call her own. My heart broke for her, but I admired Jenni’s spirit and liked her so well that I was happily rooting for Nate to get it together and stop resisting his feelings for Jenni. Nate may be wary of opening his heart to Jenni, but his reticence was realistic, given his past. Nell Dixon makes it impossible not to love Jenni and Nate together, so I eagerly listened to The Cinderella Substitute, waiting for that moment when Nate and his Cinderella would get their happily ever after.

The Cinderella Substitute is full of charm, sweetness, and yes, even a makeover or two. With likeable protagonists and an engaging plot, The Cinderella Substitute is a wholly entertaining story to while away an afternoon with.