WitandSin

Wit and Sin

Down for the Count (Dare Me Series, #1)
Christine Bell
How a Lady Weds a Rogue (Falcon Club #3) - Katharine Ashe My review cross-posted from Joyfully Reviewed: http://www.joyfullyreviewed.com/new-reviews/how-a-lady-weds-a-rogue-by-katharine-ashe

Diantha Lucas is in need of a hero. Over four years ago, her mother left home under dark circumstances no one has ever told Diantha about. Now Diantha has discovered that her mother is running a brothel in Calais and for very personal reasons Diantha is determined to speak with her. If it means she has to take off from the manor home of a friend and travel to France by herself, then so be it. But her journey would be far easier – not to mention safer – if a heroic sort of man aided her on her mission. And what luck it is that Wyn Yale, the handsome, refined gentleman she’s long admired, happens to be taking the same Mail Coach as she.

Wyn Yale is no hero. As a recovery specialist of sorts, his role in the secretive Falcon Club often includes rescuing young girls. But five years ago, Wyn made a terrible mistake – one that cost a woman her life. Ever since, Wyn has been making it through each day by drinking and plotting to kill the duke responsible for the death of the woman he couldn’t save. Then he crosses paths with Diantha Lucas, sister-in-law to some of Wyn’s closest friends. He cannot allow her to continue on her mad quest, so he agrees to act as Diantha’s hero, all the while planning to return her to the safety of her family. Wyn’s a master at getting women to do what he tells them to, but he’s never before encountered a woman like Diantha, who refuses to listen to him. Diantha’s innocent charm, kind smile, and beauty make Wyn feel more alive than he has in years.

Wyn cannot deny – at least privately – that he desires Diantha, but he knows he will never be the man for her. But Wyn forgets that Diantha can be as stubborn as he. While on this most unusual journey, a lady will find the love she’s always craved and a rogue who believes he has nothing to live for will find someone who teaches him otherwise.

A chance encounter throws man haunted by his past together with the woman who could be his future in How a Lady Weds a Rogue. Diantha is the bright spot in How a Lady Weds a Rogue. In the book, Diantha charms everyone she meets, but that ability extended past the page all the way to me, the reader. I adored her. She’s bright, kind, adventurous, and good-hearted, but she isn’t without her insecurities. Her mother did a number on her and that simply broke my heart. Wyn, in turn, is all that’s fashionable and witty – if one only looks on the surface. He’s lost in the woods, so to speak, surviving only with the aid of liquor. It was lovely to watch him become the man he’s meant to be over the course of How a Lady Weds a Rogue. Diantha and Wyn’s personal journeys are wonderful, but the real excitement comes in seeing them together. Author Katharine Ashe provides delightfully entertaining banter in How a Lady Weds a Rogue. And it’s not only verbal sparks that fly. The sexual tension between Wyn and Diantha definitely heats their romance up.

How a Lady Weds a Rogue is the third Falcon Club novel, and my one complaint is that the book is a bit slower-paced than its predecessors, When a Scot Loves a Lady and How to Be a Proper Lady. I won’t say How a Lady Weds a Rogue dragged, but at times there was a spark missing from the story that I’ve found present in most of Ms. Ashe’s other books. You don’t have to have read the first two Falcon Club books to enjoy How a Lady Weds a Rogue, but I recommend reading them anyway because they’re wonderful. As for the plotline involving Diantha’s mother, Ms. Ashe reveals the highlights of what happened to her. However, if you want to know the whole story, I recommend reading Diantha’s stepsister’s book, Captured by a Rogue Lord (part of Ms. Ashe’s Rogues of the Sea series). In fact, all of the Falcon Club novels have been connected to Captured by a Rogue Lord so far, which is a treat.

A host of familiar characters enliven How a Lady Weds a Rogue, which will surely delight fans of Ms. Ashe’s and intrigue readers new to the Falcon Club and Rogues of the Sea series. Indeed, for brief moments in How a Lady Weds a Rogue Wyn and Diantha are upstaged by the continuing epistolary battle between Colin Gray, Secretary of the Falcon Club, and the mysterious (or perhaps not-so-mysterious) “Lady Justice.” If Ms. Ashe does not pair up this quick-witted duo I will be shocked.

How a Lady Weds a Rogue is a solidly entertaining historical romance with two protagonists who will easily work their way into readers’ hearts. Ms. Ashe has created a wonderful series with the Falcon Club books and I am on tenterhooks for the next Falcon Club story!