WitandSin

Wit and Sin

Down for the Count (Dare Me Series, #1)
Christine Bell
The Fireman Who Loved Me (The Bachelor Firemen of San Gabriel, #1) - Jennifer Bernard My review cross-posted from Joyfully Reviewed: http://www.joyfullyreviewed.com/new-reviews/the-fireman-who-loved-me-by-jennifer-bernard

News producer Melissa McGuire is used to her grandmother’s antics, but when the woman drops three thousand dollars at a bachelor auction to win Melissa a date with one of the infamousSan Gabrielfiremen, Melissa is ready to run back to Los Angeles. Melissa has no interest in a fireman, even one as sexy as Fire Captain Harry Brody. But when sparks start flying, Melissa has to admit that perhaps her grandmother knew what she was doing. But with a curse, some exes, and a scheming news anchor in the mix, Melissa and Brody’s relationship may go up in flames faster than a house on fire.

The Fireman Who Loved Me has one of my favorite kinds of romance heroes: a sexy fireman. All the same, the first Bachelor Firemen of San Gabriel book is a bit difficult to review. It’s got the makings of a romantic comedy, but with the mismatched dramatic moments author Jennifer Bernard inserts, it never quite makes it. Melissa and Brody are likeable protagonists and they’ve got great chemistry. It’s easy to become invested in their romance. However, as charming as they are, the pair is often overshadowed by louder caricature characters. Between the conniving news anchor Ella Joy (who grated on my nerves quickly), Brody’s ex-wife, and Melissa’s ex-boss/romantic interest, there was a bit too much manufactured drama thrown in for me to be able to focus on Melissa and Brody. Eliminating at least one of these characters and their plotline would have helped tremendously. In addition, there’s a quite serious subplot involving an abused child and corrupt social worker and alcoholic foster parent that did The Fireman Who Loved Me more harm than good. The fact that Melissa kept forgetting about a child in danger when she was faced with romantic or work problems made me lose a lot of respect for her. It’s still hard for me to get past, to be honest.

Despite my issues with the book, I don’t consider The Fireman Who Loved Me to be a bad read at all. There are some great characters in the story and I fell for the loveable firemen Ms. Bernard introduced. I’m really looking forward to reading the next Bachelor Firemen of San Gabriel book, Hot for Fireman.