WitandSin

Wit and Sin

His Wicked Revenge (Short Story) - Vanessa Kelly My review cross-posted from Joyfully Reviewed: http://www.joyfullyreviewed.com/new-reviews/his-wicked-revenge-by-vanessa-kelly

For thirteen years, Captain Anthony Barnett has been waiting for his chance to get revenge on Marissa, Lady Paget. She claimed to love him, but then she married someone else not long after he was run off her family’s estate. Now Anthony is wealthy and successful, and his time for revenge has come. Anthony holds all of Marissa’s brother’s debts and unless she agrees to publicly be his mistress, he’ll destroy her family. What Anthony forgets is that revenge can be a double-edged sword…

Revenge tales can be a bit tricky, especially when the story centers around one protagonist against another. It’s easy to feel sorry for the boy Anthony was. Unfortunately, it’s hard to be sympathetic toward the man he now is. Anthony’s temper jerks back and forth so fast I almost got whiplash. Marissa, by comparison, is constant in nature. She’s done what she has had to do, at the cost to her own heart. Normally I adore Vanessa Kelly’s work, but His Wicked Revenge wasn’t the book for me. Perhaps in a slightly longer format, Anthony’s character could have smoothed out and/or developed into someone more likeable. As it stands, I’ll pass on re-reading His Wicked Revenge and enjoy another story of Ms. Kelly’s instead.

Note: His Wicked Revenge was originally published in The Mammoth Book of Regency Romance.