WitandSin

Wit and Sin

The Seduction of Scandal (Scandals and Seductions, #5) - Cathy Maxwell My review cross-posted from Joyfully Reviewed: http://www.joyfullyreviewed.com/new-reviews/the-seduction-of-scandal-by-cathy-maxwell

Lady Corinne, daughter of the duke of Banfield, is doomed to marry Lord Freddie Sherwin, despite the fact that he’s the most repulsive man of her acquaintance. But on a trip to Freddie’s ancestral home, Corinne comes up with a plan: she’ll flee and hide out until after the wedding is over. A trick of fate sends Corinne’s escape awry and she lands in the path of the notorious highwayman known as the Thorn. Corinne isn’t about to let this unexpected development hinder her chance at freedom; she blackmails the Thorn and takes refuge in his home. But the longer Corinne stays with the Thorn, the more she finds him a kindred spirit. Is there any hope for the daughter of a duke and a highwayman one step away from the hangman’s noose?

A spirited young lady seduces a scandalous, Robin Hood-like hero in the entertaining The Seduction of Scandal. Cathy Maxwell wraps up her fabulous Scandals and Seductions series with this buoyant fifth installment. The Thorn’s identity is not much of a secret, but to be honest, the reveal is such a delight that I’ll keep from even providing that minor spoiler. Both he and Corinne are wonderful protagonists who don’t quite fit into the role society dictates each should play. The two of them also have a bit of growing up to do, which they do over the course of The Seduction of Scandal. I genuinely liked this pair, so even though The Seduction of Scandal got off to a bit of a slow start, Ms. Maxwell had my undivided attention because I cared about the protagonists’ problems. Ms. Maxwell also managed to have me on the edge of my seat for the latter part of The Seduction of Scandal, as the action really picks up at the end of the book to deliver a heck of a climax.

The Seduction of Scandal is the fifth book in the Scandals and Seductions series, but it can be read as a standalone. There are a few brief mentions of the characters from the previous book, His Christmas Pleasure, but that’s about it. All in all, The Seduction of Scandal was a satisfying read and it did make me sad that it was the last Scandals and Seductions book, for I’ve come to love this charming series.