WitandSin

Wit and Sin

Three Wishes - Stephanie Bond Originally posted on Wit and Sin: http://witandsin.blogspot.com/2012/03/review-three-wishes-by-stephanie-bond.html

Antiques dealer Ladden Sanderson’s life would be perfect if it weren’t for one thing: he’s in love Jasmine Crowne - the governor’s girlfriend and a woman who will never see him as more than a friend. Then Ladden accidentally releases a genie from a magic lamp and his whole world is turned upside down. Can the three wishes the genie grants him help Ladden win Jasmine’s heart? Or will he manage to drive her out of his life forever?

The classic folk tale Aladdin just got a whole lot sexier! Stephanie Bond mixes magic and mayhem, love and lust, heartbreak and hope in the delicious Three Wishes. Ladden is a genuinely nice guy who works hard and is incredibly kind to those around him – how can you not love a hero like that? He’s not perfect (that would be boring) but he comes close which made it easy for me to become engaged in Three Wishes. Quite simply, I wanted Ladden to win the heart of the woman he loves. Jasmine is an interior designer with plans to distance herself from her upbringing by climbing the social ladder on the arm of her boyfriend, the governor. Jasmine is so focused on separating herself from her past that she’s missing the chance for true love with Ladden. I might have wanted to shake Jasmine had Ms. Bond not made her focus understandable. While she seems to have it all, Jasmine is vulnerable and that side of her endeared her to me. As a pair, she and Ladden fit like lock and key. But they do need a helping hand to get them together. That hand comes in the form of a genie who tries his best but often makes life more difficult for Jasmine and Ladden. I liked the well-meaning genie almost as much as I like Jasmine and Ladden, but the scene-stealer of Three Wishes was the constantly-moving magic carpet. The paranormal elements of Three Wishes definitely bring laughs to the story.

Three Wishes is a delightful story from start to finish. I’m picky about romantic comedies, but I gave Three Wishes a try because I’m a big fan of Stephanie Bond’s work. I’m delighted I did. With its loveable characters, fun plot, and happily ever after worthy of a fairytale, Three Wishes is a charming, lighthearted tale that is not to be missed!

Note: Three Wishes was first published by Bantam Books in 1998 as Your Wish is My Command by Stephanie Bancroft. Three Wishes has since been updated by the author.