WitandSin

Wit and Sin

Down for the Count (Dare Me Series, #1)
Christine Bell
Lord of the Abyss (Royal House of Shadows, #4) - Nalini Singh Originally posted on Joyfully Reviewed: http://www.joyfullyreviewed.com/new-reviews/lord-of-the-abyss-by-nalini-singh

As Lord of the Black Castle, the Guardian of the Abyss hunts the souls damned to spend eternity in the Abyss. He has no memory of his childhood, where he was Micah, the youngest prince of Elden. Nor does he remember the Blood Sorcerer’s army attacking his parents’ castle or his parents’ murders. He is simply the Guardian. Until the Blood Sorcerer’s daughter enters his life and changes everything.

Liliana holds no love for her father. Often a victim of his twisted games, she is fully aware of his evil. She also knows that time is running out for the four royal siblings to come together and reclaim Elden. Liliana risks everything to find Micah and help him remember who he is. There’s one thing she didn’t count on, however: that she would fall for Micah. Will Micah condemn her being the daughter of his enemy? If her father has his way, Liliana won’t live long enough to find out.

The Royal House of Shadows series reaches its climax with Lord of the Abyss. I admit, I’d been eagerly awaiting Nalini Singh’s installment to this multi-author quartet. Ms. Singh’s twist on “Beauty and the Beast” charmed me. I loved that Liliana was unattractive and that the stunning Micah fell hard for her. Life at the Black Castle was also wonderful to read about, which is only strange if you remember that it is at the edge of the Abyss. The romantic plotline with Micah and Liliana was also surprisingly sweet in its own way, though not as memorable as Ms. Singh’s romances usually are.

As one would expect, a lot of Lord of the Abyss is about Liliana and Micah needing to defeat the Blood Sorcerer. There are bloody skirmishes leading up to the final battle, but for some reason the ultimate battle against good and evil wasn’t as exciting as I’d expected it to be. In addition to expecting more of a fight, as this is the final book in the series, I’d expected to see more interaction between Micah and his siblings than there was.

Lord of the Abyss is the fourth book in the Royal House of Shadows quartet, but each book can be read as a standalone. This is somewhat of a pity because it seems like the overarching storyline could have been stronger if the books were a bit more connected (especially when it comes to Micah’s book).

Lord of the Abyss is a good story and I was a satisfied reader for the most part. I am a huge fan of Ms. Singh’s so perhaps if this book were not written by her, I would have really enjoyed. Lord of the Abyss is a solid read, but for me, isn’t excellent like almost all of Ms. Singh’s books are. Still, readers of the Royal House of Shadows books are likely to be happy with the conclusion of this dark fantasy series.