WitandSin

Wit and Sin

Black Point - A.J. Llewellyn, D.J. Manly My review is posted on Wild on Books: http://www.wildonbooks.com/reviews/2008/kimberly/a_j_llewellyn_d_j_manly_black_point.htm

Matt, an up and coming writer of male/male romance, is thrilled when his favorite author, Rose Carter, takes note of his work. The two begin communicating online and soon Matt finds himself falling for his intriguing idol. Problem is, Matt’s gay and Rose is most definitely a woman. Or so he thinks…

Forbidden by his publisher to reveal his true identity, Thomas, alias Rose Carter, finds himself increasingly frustrated with his inability to tell Matt of his growing attraction for him. Then a movie studio buys the rights to one of Thomas’s books and his publisher decides it’s time to unveil the real “Rose.”

At the Exotic Romance Convention in Hawaii, Thomas’s identity will be revealed. But when Thomas comes face to face with Matt, will the truth bring them together or will past secrets tear them apart?

Break out the fans because A.J. Llewellyn and D.J. Manly have heated up an already sizzling genre. BLACK POINT is an engaging love story that is sensual, sweet, and supremely satisfying.

I absolutely adored both Thomas and Matt. They are both intelligent and kind-hearted, making them impossible not to like. From the first I felt they were men I would love to be friends with were they real (and were I able to be around them without sighing wistfully over their innate sex appeal). Their desire to connect with one another and the constraints holding them back from doing so kept me on the edge of my seat, avidly reading and cheering the two of them on.

What kept me from falling head over heels in love with BLACK POINT are the supporting characters. To me they felt slightly cartoonish, their behavior a bit overblown. The frantic energy emanating from nearly everyone surrounding Matt and Thomas was distracting. I felt that because of the supporting characters’ loud personalities, at times it seemed the heroes weren’t driving the story, but rather being hauled in its wake. Taking into account the plot of the story, this wouldn’t necessarily be a detractor if I hadn’t felt pulled out of the story by my impatience with the secondary characters.

Overall I thoroughly enjoyed BLACK POINT. Thomas and Matt just grabbed my heart and didn’t let go. Having never read either Llewellyn or Manly’s work before, I find myself eager to pick up more stories by each of these talented authors and hope that they have plans to collaborate again in the future.