WitandSin

Wit and Sin

Black Point Forever - A.J. Llewellyn, D.J. Manly My review is posted on Joyfully Reviewed: http://www.joyfullyreviewed.com/new-reviews/black-point-forever

Life is finally perfect for Thomas and Matt. They have a beautiful daughter, Rose, their treasured home in Hawaii, and thriving careers. Then Rose is diagnosed with a rare blood disease and needs a bone marrow transplant and Thomas and Matt’s life comes crashing down around their ears. None of their family is a match except for their niece, Daphne, and she’s too young to donate. When Thomas’s first love, Daniel, turns out to be a match, it’s a miracle. But Matt can’t help but worry that Daniel’s role as Rose’s savior will steal Thomas’s heart. Will Matt lose his daughter and husband, the two people he loves most?

The final installment in A.J. Llewellyn and D.J. Manly’s Black Point series tugs at the heart like none of its predecessors have. Black Point Forever is at its strongest when it focuses on Rose. Matt and Thomas’s obvious love for their daughter and their very realistic fears brought incredible depth to the story. Where Black Point Forever falls apart is not in the strain on Matt and Thomas’s marriage Rose’s illness takes – that’s understandable – but in the incongruously childish behavior the two heroes partake in. They get jealous, act out, and fight (intersperse sex in all of this) in ways that would be understandable if it hadn’t been repetitive of the previous Black Point books. What detracted from the story for me was the lack of growth and maturity in both men that I had expected the final book in the series to have. Still, the Rose-centric plot was wonderfully done and it kept Black Point Forever engaging and emotionally satisfying.