WitandSin

Wit and Sin

Silk Is For Seduction - Loretta Chase My review originally posted on Joyfully Reviewed: http://www.joyfullyreviewed.com/new-reviews/silk-is-for-seduction-by-loretta-chase

Marcelline Noirot may be part of the notorious “Dreadful DeLuceys,” but she and her sisters are not a pack of liars and thieves. Marcelline is, however, incredibly ambitious, and she’s determined to be London’s premiere dressmaker. And what better way is there for her to win over the ton than to dress the Duke of Clevedon’s future bride? Marcelline tracks down the scandalous duke in Paris and sets out to convince him to patronize her shop. But there’s one thing Marcelline didn’t count on when she set out to capture a duke: that she’d come to want his heart, not just his wallet.

Loretta Chase brings 1830s fashion to vivid life in Silk is for Seduction. The amount of detail allotted to dressmaking in Silk is for Seduction is sure to please fashion enthusiasts. Unfortunately for this reader, it felt like more attention was paid to dresses than characters or plot, making Marcelline and Clevedon’s story fall flat. Marcelline’s personality seems to be limited to her ambition and Clevedon’s character doesn’t come to life except when he’s thinking of how he lusts after Marcelline. The future heroines of the Dressmakers series, Sophia and Leonie, have no personality whatsoever, making it very difficult to find something to interest me in Silk is for Seduction. The one character of note is Clara, Clevedon’s intended. Clara is the one character that leaped off the page and I found myself wishing that the book was about her rather than Marcelline and Clevedon. Theoretically, Clara’s almost-engagement to Clevedon would be the major obstacle of Silk is for Seduction, but strangely this element of the book never really seems to hit its full potential.

Silk is for Seduction plods along with its tepid romance and weak attempts at intrigue until the very end of the book. Ms. Chase does finish up Marcelline and Clevedon’s story nicely, but not enough to make me want to revisit Silk is for Seduction. Readers who already are fans of Ms. Chase’s might enjoy this book, but those who are new to her work would be better served by looking to another one of Ms. Chase’s stories to read instead of sitting down with Silk is for Seduction.