WitandSin

Wit and Sin

The Many Sins of Lord Cameron - Jennifer Ashley My review originally posted on Joyfully Reviewed: http://www.joyfullyreviewed.com/new-reviews/the-many-sins-of-lord-cameron-by-jennifer-ashley

Six years ago, Cameron Mackenzie discovered Ainsley Douglas searching his room. Back then, she claimed to be looking for a liaison with Cameron, but she had an attack of conscience and returned to her husband instead.

Now Ainsley is a widow and her path has crossed Cameron’s once more, and like the last time, she’s in his rooms. This time, Ainsley’s on a mission to recover letters that could be used to blackmail the queen. Only Cameron isn’t about to let Ainsley get away as easily as she did before. Six years haven’t dimmed his desire for her, nor hers for him. As they search for the queen’s stolen letters, Cameron tempts Ainsley with promises of passion. But Cameron never expects his lust for Ainsley to turn into something more; something that could reopen the wounds of his past and threaten the promise of a future for himself and Ainsley.

If you’re looking for a likeable heroine, a tortured hero, sensual romance, memorable secondary characters, and a dash of royal intrigue – and let’s face it, who isn’t? – then The Many Sins of Lord Cameron is for you. Jennifer Ashley delivers an engaging story in this fast-paced third installment to her wildly addictive Highland Pleasures series.

Cameron is considered to be the black sheep of his family, and in the Mackenzie family, that’s saying something. But Cameron’s dangerous façade masks a tortured past. To say that he lived through hell when he was married to his now-deceased wife would be putting it mildly. His first wife was insane, conniving, and abusive, and Cameron lived through her torture in order to protect his son. My heart broke both for Cameron and his son, Daniel, who is a bright young man that runs a bit wild but is definitely loved by the entire Mackenzie clan. Cameron deserves happiness and Ainsley is just the woman to give it to him. Her past isn’t without heartache and her present is marked by her duty to Queen Victoria. At the beginning of The Many Sins of Lord Cameron, Ainsley is a shadow of herself in many ways, and it was a joy to watch her become a vibrant heroine. She and Cameron were a fantastic match and together they brought The Many Sins of Lord Cameron to vivid life.

While The Many Sins of Lord Cameron is the third Highland Pleasures book, it can be read as a standalone. However, I defy readers who haven’t read the first two books – The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie and Lady Isabella’s Scandalous Marriage – to read The Many Sins of Lord Cameron and not want to rush back and read Ian and Mac Mackenzie’s books. The entire Mackenzie family wrapped itself around my heart in The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie and they have yet to let go. As a fan of the series, it was a joy to see how the first two couples have progressed over the years. What’s more, with the groundwork she lays in The Many Sins of Lord Cameron, Ms. Ashley has me on the edge of my seat to see what happens to the eldest Mackenzie brother, Hart. Even Daniel, who is only sixteen, is already developing into hero material.

The Many Sins of Lord Cameron is an excellent book that I read in one sitting. The only problem I had was that I finished it and wanted to dive right into the next Highland Pleasures book, which sadly won’t be out until 2012. I look forward to revisiting Cameron and Ainsley’s romance many times over as I wait for Hart Mackenzie’s book, The Duke’s Perfect Wife.