WitandSin

Wit and Sin

Second Helpings - Scarlet Blackwell My review originally posted on Joyfully Reviewed: http://www.joyfullyreviewed.com/new-reviews/second-helpings-by-scarlet-blackwell

It’s been six months since French chef Luc Tessier and English food critic Daniel Sheridan went from adversaries to lovers. But love hasn’t smoothed out their tempestuous relationship as much as Luc would like. He doesn’t mind the fighting, since the makeup sex always leaves him wanting more. What bothers Luc is that Daniel is still in the closet. Things only get worse when Daniel’s judgmental mother comes to stay at Daniel’s home…where Luc also lives. Forced to pretend he isn’t Daniel’s lover, Luc turns to desperate measures to steal some time with the man he loves. But Luc’s trademark high-handedness may have some unexpected consequences, ones that could be the death-knell of their relationship.

Luc and Daniel are back and are as passionate as ever. Second Helpings lacks the well-written humor of the pair’s original outing, Just Desserts. Unfortunately, it isn’t missing Daniel’s childishness. Surprisingly, he was even more immature than he was in Just Desserts, and I’m not sure if this was supposed to be a comedic move on Scarlet Blackwell’s part or if falling in love with Luc had a negative effect on Daniel’s personality. His antics made the story drag in parts, which was a pity. I was, however, happily surprised that Luc has gained some maturity. He still has arrogance and outrageousness to spare, but his love and care for Daniel came across as genuine. Overall, I don’t think I’ll be going for seconds of Second Helpings, but it did have some bright moments which made me smile.