WitandSin

Wit and Sin

Just Desserts - Scarlet Blackwell My review originally posted on Joyfully Reviewed: http://www.joyfullyreviewed.com/new-reviews/just-desserts-by-scarlet-blackwell

French chef Luc Tessier is famous, sexy, and talented – and he knows it. Luc’s arrogant, but he’s got the skills to back it up, both in the kitchen and in the bedroom. Luc has everything he wants…except a good review from Daniel Sheridan. The English food critic blasts Luc and his cooking regularly, but Luc has a plan. He has invited Daniel to dine in his restaurant. One glance at Daniel, however, is almost enough to ruin the evening. The stuffy food critic looks like he’s hot off the runway and if Luc plays his cards right, the night will end with Daniel as his dessert.

Tempers run hot enough to burn down a kitchen when two hard-headed heroes meet in Just Desserts. I was charmed by Scarlet Blackwell’s deft hand with humor – there were definitely a few parts of Just Desserts that had me laughing out loud. Sadly, however, I wasn’t equally charmed by the story’s heroes. Luc and Daniel came across as shallow, and though in theory love had changed them by the end of Just Desserts, it was a case of tell rather than show. A bit more maturity would have balanced out Luc’s theatrics and Daniel’s sometimes teenager-like attitude. Still, Just Desserts was as decadent – if not as sweet – as one of Luc’s desserts and I think perhaps another book by Ms. Blackwell might suit me better.