WitandSin

Wit and Sin

The Vampire's Prisoner - Scarlet Blackwell Originally posted on Joyfully Reviewed: http://www.joyfullyreviewed.com/new-reviews/the-vampires-prisoner-by-scarlet-blackwell

Alexander Somerville wants to study a vampire in order to write a paper to present to the British Paranormal Society. He has no problem paying for a captured vampire, and when vampire Raphael Lefevre is delivered charred by the sun, Alex’s only concern is that he will die before he has a chance to study the creature. Luckily for both men, vampires heal quickly. What Alex doesn’t expect is the irresistible desire he feels for the vampire. Will Raphael be able to use lust to turn the tables on his captor?

Scarlet Blackwell takes on the unenviable task of making her most unlikeable characters her protagonists in The Vampire’s Prisoner. Neither Alex nor Raphael is a “good” person, but they don’t care either. Surprisingly, I didn’t mind that Alex was unlikeable and sometimes cruel, as Ms. Blackwell gave hints of depth to him that made him relatable. Unfortunately, I never got to know Alex or Raphael as much as I would have liked. Alex in particular had great potential, but it was never fully realized. The “love” aspect of The Vampire’s Prisoner felt tacked on, though perhaps if the story were longer and the relationship between the two men had time to build it might have felt more natural. There’s no indication at this time that The Vampire’s Prisoner is the start of a series, but I not-so-secretly hope that Ms. Blackwell pens another story for Alex and Raphael. If the two were allowed to develop further, they could make one hell of a pair.