WitandSin

Wit and Sin

Shameless (Banning Sisters Trilogy Series #3)

Shameless (Banning Sisters trilogy, #3) - Karen Robards 3.5 stars

My review cross-posted from Joyfully Reviewed: http://www.joyfullyreviewed.com/reviews/Mar10/shameless.kr.html

The gossips of the ton all agree on one thing: Lady Elizabeth Banning is a shameless flirt. She has jilted two fiancés and when she gives the third his congé, things go very badly. Luckily for Beth, a mysterious housebreaker helps her out of a precarious situation. What she doesn’t know is that Neil Severin is no housebreaker…

Government-sanctioned assassin Neil has broken into the Duke of Richmond’s home for one purpose: to kill Richmond, the only man who knows Neil’s true identity and the one that has authorized Neil’s assassination. When he runs into Beth, Neil comes up with an even better plan, and schemes to kidnap Beth and use her to lure the duke, her brother-in-law, to his demise. Only things go terribly awry when Beth is abducted by an angry former fiancé first. Now Neil must rescue Beth, outwit those after him, and prevent himself from falling into the one trap that could kill him…or save him: love.

Good things come to those who wait, and that’s certainly true for readers, like myself, who have been waiting a long time to see the spirited Beth Banning get her own story. Karen Robards ends her Banning Sisters trilogy on a high note with Shameless. Beth is the same headstrong, irrepressible character she was in her sisters’ books, Scandalous and Irresistible. I adore her for her strength of character, loyalty, and fortitude. She goes through some fairly harrowing ordeals (which I won’t spoil) and uses her brain to get out of them. As for the man who captures Beth’s heart…well, it takes a special kind of hero to match such a strong heroine. Happily, Neil is more than up to the task. I love that he’s a take-charge kind of hero, but also listens to Beth. The two are perfect for one another and I delighted in watching them fall in love.

Though it’s the final book in the Banning Sisters trilogy, Shameless can be read on its own. There are a few references to events in Scandalous and Irresistible, but no major spoilers. For me, it was wonderful to revisit all my favorite characters from the first two books. Overall, I found Shameless to be an enchanting story and an exciting conclusion to a fantastic trilogy.