WitandSin

Wit and Sin

Down for the Count (Dare Me Series, #1)
Christine Bell
Skies of Fire - Zoe Archer My review cross-posted from Joyfully Reviewed: http://www.joyfullyreviewed.com/new-reviews/skies-of-fire-by-zoe-archer

Three years ago, Captain Christopher Redmond had his heart broken by Louisa Shaw. The beautiful British Naval Intelligence agent left without a word and he hasn’t heard from her since. In the years since, Christopher has changed – he’s become a Man O’ War, one of the British Navy’s best weapons. Then a distress call summons Christopher’s airship and his life is turned upside down when he finds that the spy in distress is Louisa. Though he may have mechanical upgrades, Christopher is still a man – one who yearns for the woman he lost. Louisa needs his help destroying an enemy munitions plant and the close quarters their mission necessitates sends them back into each other’s arms. The chances of surviving their assignment are low, but even if they do live, will Christopher be able to open his heart to Louisa once more?

Danger, adventure, and romance three elements Zoë Archer excels at blending together. Skies of Fire features two strong, intelligent, stubborn protagonists who are offered a second chance at love. It’s not really a matter of Louisa and Christopher fitting one another, but rather their ability to trust each other and compromise that keeps them apart. Their personalities and dedication to their country make their initial separation – and the obstacles keeping them apart – understandable. Though both the action and romantic development lagged a bit in the middle of Skies of Fire, for the most part Louisa and Christopher kept the story moving.

Skies of Fire is the first installment in The Ether Chronicles, a series that will contain stories by Ms. Archer and her husband, Nico Rosso. The world Ms. Archer and Mr. Rosso have created is intriguing and I was fascinated by what I learned in Skies of Fire. Overall, I enjoyed Skies of Fire and I can’t wait to read the next Ether Chronicles tale!