WitandSin

Wit and Sin

Down for the Count (Dare Me Series, #1)
Christine Bell
How to Be a Proper Lady - Katharine Ashe My review cross-posted from Joyfully Reviewed: http://www.joyfullyreviewed.com/new-reviews/how-to-be-a-proper-lady-by-katharine-ashe

As a child, Viola Carlyle was taken from everything she’d ever known by her biological father. Now, Viola is known as Violet la Vile and captains her own ship – most unusual for a lady, to say the least. Viola has never met her match…until she captures the infamous Captain Jinan Seaton. Jin turns Viola’s world upside down once more. He’s determined to bring her back to England and deliver her to the half-sister who’s never given up hope of being reunited with Viola. But Viola knows she’ll never fit into the world of her childhood, for she’s no lady. So begins a battle of wills between Jin and Viola. One that might end with them both losing their hearts.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: Katharine Ashe just gets better and better! How to Be a Proper Lady is filled with action, romance, and charm – three elements that make for a highly entertaining story. Viola and Jin are slightly unusual for historical romance protagonists, and I loved that about them. Their uniqueness, intelligence, confidence, and spirit endeared them to me and the back-and-forth between the pair made How to Be a Proper Lady shine. That being said, neither Jin nor Viola are invulnerable. Ms. Ashe humanizes them by giving both characters flaws and insecurities that will tug at readers’ hearts. I absolutely adored Jin and Viola, both separately and together. I eagerly read How to Be a Proper Lady, wanting to see them overcome the obstacles in their path to get their much-deserved happily ever after.

How to Be a Proper Lady is the second Falcon Club novel, but like its predecessor, When a Scot Loves a Lady, How to Be a Proper Lady is connected to Captured by a Rogue Lord, part of Ms. Ashe’s Rogues of the Sea series. The return of so many familiar faces will undoubtedly please fans of Ms. Ashe’s previous novels (I was definitely delighted). That being said, How to Be a Proper Lady can be read as a standalone, for Ms. Ashe provides enough information for readers new to her books to follow along. However, I doubt readers who enjoy How to Be a Proper Lady will be able to resist glomming up Ms. Ashe’s backlist. And speaking of the Falcon Club, Jin’s fellow secret agents will surely have eager readers clamoring for the next Falcon Club book. I know that for me, Jin and Viola were almost upstaged by the epistolary battle between Viscount Colin Gray, the club’s secretary, and the mysterious “Lady Justice.”

How to Be a Proper Lady has everything fans of historical romance could want in a book. Ms. Ashe has penned a novel that’s engaging from beginning to end. The book’s only flaw was that it left me wanting the next Falcon Club story. So don’t miss out on How to Be a Proper Lady!