WitandSin

Wit and Sin

Down for the Count (Dare Me Series, #1)
Christine Bell
Screw Santa - Joyee Flynn My review cross-posted from Joyfully Reviewed: http://www.joyfullyreviewed.com/new-reviews/screw-santa-by-joyee-flynn

Horse and his eleven friends are all elves who left the North Pole due to their hatred of Christmas. Now settled in Illinois, they spend their time gaming, going to clubs, and getting very inventive with their lovers. Then a series of coincidences bring Horse into contact with Bren Griaule, a man who tempts Horse like no other. Could Bren be his mate? And will the human detective be able to accept Horse’s dominance and supernatural nature?

Author Joyee Flynn shows she has a quirky sense of humor in Screw Santa. I giggled right and left learning Horse and his friends’ names, the reasons behind them, and their hatred of Christmas. Ms. Flynn’s humor kept me entertained when the rest of Screw Santa fell flat for me. When reading a paranormal, it’s a given that you have to suspend disbelief. That being said, there should be some form of realism and logic to the characters and their actions and I just couldn’t find much of either in Bren’s character, especially when he was tossed into so many personal and sexual situations he had no experience with. I also had a bit of an issue with there being no limits to the elves’ power. Quite simply, there was nothing to ground the story. All in all, I found Screw Santa to be a candy box of sexual kink and without any obstacles, character growth, or logic. That’s not necessarily a bad thing, unless you want something more. For me, I like there to be some basis or realism in my characters so Screw Santa just wasn’t for me. But I will give Ms. Flynn high marks for her sense of humor because the silliness in Screw Santa was delightful.