WitandSin

Wit and Sin

The Vampire Dimitri (The Regency Draculia) - Colleen Gleason My review is cross-posted from Joyfully Reviewed: http://www.joyfullyreviewed.com/new-reviews/the-vampire-dimitri-by-colleen-gleason

Dimitri, Earl of Corvindale, would like nothing more than to spend his nights at home, searching for a way out of his deal with the devil, one that made him Dracule, a vampire. But after vampire hunter Chas Woodmore angers one of Dimitri’s enemies, Dimitri is forced to uphold his promise of protecting Chas’s sisters. Forced to have human women in his home is bad, but having Maia Woodmore in his home is pure hell. Dimitri desires her, but even if he were human, he could never possess Maia, for the stubborn beauty is engaged to another. Dimitri is determined to stay as far away from Maia as possible, but with danger lurking around every corner, Dimitri’s desires are thwarted. Is he strong enough to resist his attraction to Maia, especially when he senses that the seemingly proper Maia wants him as well?

Passions seethe beneath the surface in The Vampire Dimitri, the second book in Colleen Gleason’s wildly addictive Regency Draculia series. Like the first installment of the series, The Vampire Voss, The Vampire Dimitri is filled with intriguing characters that will keep you turning the pages from the time you start until you finish the book. Dimitri is a good soul in a bad situation. He’s a hero that is so determined to do the right thing that, quite often, he does the wrong thing. His mistakes endeared him to me and it was no hardship rooting for him to find happiness with Maia. Maia is a wonderfully layered heroine. On the surface she’s bossy and obsessed with propriety. Beneath the façade…well, she’s still bossy, but there’s a vivacity to her that she hides from the world.

For those who haven’t read The Vampire Voss, don’t worry: you’ll have no trouble following events in The Vampire Dimitri (though be warned you’ll read major spoilers for The Vampire Voss). The only issue I had with The Vampire Dimitri is that the first half of the story overlaps the events in The Vampire Voss. Even though I got the story from a different perspective, because Dimitri and Maia were such a large part of The Vampire Voss and because I knew what was going to happen, the first half of The Vampire Dimitri was a bit slow for me. Happily, the second half of the book picked up and was an adrenaline rush of a read. I finished The Vampire Dimitri a very satisfied reader. I am, however, incredibly thankful I have book three (The Vampire Narcise) on hand, because by the time I finished Maia and Dimitri’s story, I wanted nothing more than to begin Narcise’s book.