WitandSin

Wit and Sin

Let Me Call You Sweetheart - Gwen Hayes My review cross-posted from Joyfully Reviewed: http://www.joyfullyreviewed.com/new-reviews/let-me-call-you-sweetheart-by-gwen-hayes

Charlotte “Charlie” Jeeves loves everything about her small, almost retro town, Port Grable. Everything except its newest resident. TV actor Jeeves Allencaster has taken up residence in Port Grable and Charlie is sure he’ll bring the taint of Hollywood to the town that has been her comfort and refuge for the past ten years. The most annoying thing about Jeeves isn’t the fact that they share a name; it’s that he – not to mention everyone else in the town – can’t seem to get it through their heads that Charlie does not like him and does not want to date him. The townsfolk are even placing bets on when the two of them will be going out! Charlie’s sure there’s no chance of a girl like her going out with an actor like Jeeves. Except the damnable man has the strangest way of getting under her skin…

Small town Oregon goes slightly madcap in the spirited Let Me Call You Sweetheart. Gwen Hayes has delivered a romantic comedy that’s more than a little strange, but also quite charming. Charlie and Jeeves dance around each other with quite a bit of two-steps-forward-one-step-back, which made me frown once or twice, but I don’t think it actually dragged the story down. Charlie’s a likeable heroine, one whose past has a more serious, tragic incident in it than the tone of the novel lets on. Jeeves, meanwhile, is more than a bit weird and slightly over the top, which does work with the energy of Let Me Call You Sweetheart. An odd poodle rounds out the main players, and Medusa threatens to steal the show at times.

Let Me Call You Sweetheart is quite different from my normal reading material, but the change of pace Ms. Hayes provides was welcome. If you’re in the mood for a sweet, zany romance, Let Me Call You Sweetheart is the story for you!