WitandSin

Wit and Sin

Afterlife - Joey W. Hill My review cross-posted from Joyfully Reviewed: http://www.joyfullyreviewed.com/new-reviews/afterlife-by-joey-w-hill

Since the death of her son and the collapse of her marriage, Rachel has kept the world at a distance. She surrounds herself with a serene calm that keeps her sane, but also keeps her from truly living again. Then Rachel meets Jon, a student in her yoga classes and part of the five-man executive team of Kensington & Associates. Jon’s thirteen years younger than her, but that doesn’t seem to stop Rachel from wanting him. His sensuality and Dominant nature call to Rachel, making her feel more alive than she ever has before. Rachel both wants and fears what Jon makes her feel, but now that this sexy Dom has set his sights on her, Rachel can’t run away from the life he offers her. Because Jon will use every erotic tool in his arsenal – including the other “Knights of the Board Room” – to claim Rachel for his own.

The aptly-titled Afterlife is a beautiful journey of healing, passion, and love. Rachel is a woman who will tug at your heartstrings with all that she has suffered. She’s independent and possesses an inner strength which has helped her survive the loss of her son and the verbal attacks of her ex-husband. What she learns in Afterlife is that sometimes you need to be willing to open yourself up again, to learn that it’s okay to lean on someone. She’s scarred internally, no doubt about it, but watching her journey unfold kept me avidly reading Afterlife. Jon, in turn, is a quiet, creative Dom that would make any woman go wide-eyed even as she melts. He’s perfect for Rachel and their road to happily ever after was engaging from start to finish.

Afterlife is the fourth Knights of the Board Room book, but having only read the first story, Board Resolution, I can safely say that Afterlife fully stands on its own. The other Knights of the Board Room all appear, as do the heroines of the previous three books. The only niggle I had when it came to Afterlife concerns a few scenes where both Jon and a friend of his on the police department cross the line and invade Rachel’s privacy. The reasoning they gave just didn’t hold up and drew me out of the story, much to my disappointment. Still, it didn’t dim my overall enjoyment of Afterlife. Joey W. Hill blends the erotic and emotional perfectly in Afterlife, providing readers with a gorgeous romance.