WitandSin

Wit and Sin

Seducing Mr. Knightly  - Maya Rodale My review cross-posted from Joyfully Reviewed: http://www.joyfullyreviewed.com/new-reviews/seducing-mr-knightly-by-maya-rodale

For nearly four years, Annabelle Swift has loved Derek Knightly, editor and owner of The London Weekly. Unfortunately, Knightly has never taken notice of Annabelle. It’s time for drastic measures. Annabelle turns to her loyal advice column readers and asks them what to do to catch the attention of the man she loves.

Knightly doesn’t know what has become of his shy, sweet advice columnist. The woman who always seemed to blend into the background is now strutting about in low bodices, fainting into his arms, and more. Who is Annabelle trying to attract and why is he so jealous? Knightly can’t seem to stop thinking of his beautiful Writing Girl and the distraction couldn’t come at a worse time. Newspapers across London are under attack and in order to save his beloved paper and fulfill his life’s ambition, Knightly may have to wed Lord Marsden’s sister…and give up any chance of pursuing the Writing Girl who has captured his heart.

With Seducing Mr. Knightly, author Maya Rodale sends off her Writing Girls series in style. Annabelle and Knightly’s story is (arguably) the most highly anticipated book of the series and, as such, comes with high expectations. I know I’ve been looking forward to Knightly noticing Annabelle ever since the first Writing Girls book and I was so very delighted that Seducing Mr. Knightly was worth the wait.

Annabelle is all that is kind and good, to the point where people tend to not notice her and walk all over her feelings. In Seducing Mr. Knightly she comes into her own, going from retiring wallflower to interesting, bold woman, all the while retaining the sweetness that makes her so loveable. I adored Annabelle and wanted to see her get the man of her dreams, which made it easy to become invested in Seducing Mr. Knightly. As for the object of Annabelle’s affections…Knightly is an excellent hero. Yes, he’s a bit of a “nodcock,” but his blindness toward Annabelle is understandable. Keeping them apart are a myriad of legal problems arising from an industry-wide inquiry, along with Knightly’s personal and professional ambitions. Knightly’s thirst for power and position are understandable and — since Ms. Rodale shows his past to readers — I was sympathetic to Knightly’s plight. No matter how much I wanted it to be so, it isn’t an easy choice for him to be with Annabelle. The obstacles separating them kept me reading Seducing Mr. Knightly late into the night.

Seducing Mr. Knightly is the fourth full-length book in the Writing Girls series, but if you haven’t read A Groom of One’s Own, A Tale of Two Lovers, and The Tattooed Duke, you can still easily follow along. Annabelle and Knightly are two of my favorite characters of Ms. Rodale’s (indeed, they are second only to Charlotte and James of Three Schemes and a Scandal), so I was thrilled their romance was as satisfying as I’d hoped it would be. A charming mix of sweetness and humor with a dash of Cinderella thrown in, Seducing Mr. Knightly should delight historical romance fans.