WitandSin

Wit and Sin

Down for the Count (Dare Me Series, #1)
Christine Bell
Pure Sex - D.J. Manly My review is cross-posted from Joyfully Reviewed: http://www.joyfullyreviewed.com/reviews/RRs/dec09rr/puresex.DJM.html

For Lance Cooper, sex is business and love doesn’t exist. Having been abandoned as a child and growing up with almost no one to care about him, Lance thrives on security. To achieve that, he enters into contracts with wealthy men; pleasure and companionship in exchange for a life of luxury, education, culture, travel, and more. Now Lance is in need of a new client and he has his eye on billionaire Jackson Scott. It should be the perfect assignment. Jackson is a businessman through and through and doesn’t believe in love anymore than Lance does. There’s just one problem: Jackson’s personal assistant Tobias Naso.

Tobias pretty much puts up with his demanding boss because he needs the amount of money Jackson pays him to support his grandmother in an expensive nursing home. Jackson is frustrating, possessive, and likes to have Tobias at his beck and call 24/7 and in his bed whenever Jackson pleases. Tobias is used to men being after Jackson for his money, but there’s something different about Lance, something that draws Tobias to him, against his better judgment. But Lance has a contract with Jackson and Jackson doesn’t want to let go of either man. So when his employer demands Tobias join he and Lance for some group action, Tobias convinces himself nothing will go wrong. After all, his desire for Lance isn’t something deep and emotional. It’s purely sexual...right?

Forget “silver white winters that melt into springs” – D. J. Manly knows how to write about a few of my favorite things: gorgeous heroes, red-hot sex, and emotions that tie you up in knots. While the book might be titled Pure Sex (and the sex is purely divine, have no doubt), what solidifies the position of this book, for me, as one of D. J. Manly’s finest is the emotional reaction I had to the story. Reading the sheer agony Lance and Toby experience of being close to the man they want but are unable to freely touch was like a vise around my throat. With Jackson being childish, inordinately possessive, and cruel to Lance at some points, the tension in Pure Sex practically radiated off the page. Stolen moments took on an extra sense of urgency that translated to me as a reader. I have nothing but the highest praise for D. J. Manly’s ability to make even me, the reader, tense as I read Lance and Toby’s story. I was desperate to see the heroes I adored so much find their happily ever after. After I finished Pure Sex, I could not stop thinking about it. Over the past month since I first read the story that has not changed. I love a great book that enthralls its reader and stays with them long after the last page has been read; Pure Sex is such a tale. Joyfully Recommended!