WitandSin

Wit and Sin

Dark Man - KyAnn Waters 2.5 stars

My review cross-posted from Joyfully Reviewed: http://www.joyfullyreviewed.com/reviews/May10/darkman.kw.html

Vance Autry is determined to ferret out who killed his friend Seth. He knows that someone in the exclusive all-male fetish club The Catacombs was the last person to see Seth. To get information, Vance moves in close to Tac, the owner of The Catacombs. What Vance doesn’t count on is the rush of desire he feels for Tac, or what exists behind the world of The Catacombs.

Theron, the Master Vampire known in The Catacombs as Tac, will do anything to keep vampires’ existence safe and secret. He does, however, want to bring Vance into his world as a blood slave. Vance doesn’t want to be a blood slave, but he does want to be Theron’s lover. Can Theron keep his promise not to bite Vance? And what happens when the most powerful vampire in his sect falls irrevocably in love with a human?

Dark Man is the Blood Slaves book I have been waiting for. Ever since meeting Theron in the first installment of the series, Ice Man, I have craved his story. Theron is seductive, charming, and wildly sexual. His book is, of course, all these things as well, but something about Dark Man fell a bit short for me. I had expected more of Theron’s story perhaps, given his position in vampire society and the build up to his book, so it was a slight letdown that Dark Man was on the same level as Ice Man and Iron Man. This doesn’t make Dark Man a bad book, just not all that I hoped for. Part of that was due to Vance. While a decent fellow, he isn’t as likeable for me as the rest of the heroes in the series. This means that the romance in Dark Man lacked the punch I had been hoping for.

Dark Man is the third story in the Blood Slaves series and it can be read as a standalone. However, readers who have not yet read Ice Man and Iron Man will get some spoilers for those books in Dark Man. That being said, had I not read the first two stories in the series I might have liked Dark Man a whole lot more. Overall, Dark Man was an enjoyable read, though it was not as compelling as Ice Man and Iron Man. I do hope that KyAnn Waters writes more Blood Slaves stories (I find the blood slave Drake particularly intriguing) and I eagerly await a return to The Catacombs.