WitandSin

Wit and Sin

The Darkling Thrush - Josh Lanyon My review cross-posted from Joyfully Reviewed: http://www.joyfullyreviewed.com/new-reviews/the-darkling-thrush-by-josh-lanyon

Book hunter Colin Bliss is finding the exchange program that took him from his home in the colonies to England somewhat lacking. Stuck translating and transcribing rather than working in the field, Colin eagerly accepts a private commission to find the Faileas a’ Chlaidheimh – The Sword’s Shadow – an ancient grimoire that mysteriously disappeared centuries ago. Though Colin doesn’t believe he’ll actually find the grimoire, the challenge of the quest thrills him. There’s just one problem – the darkly seductive Magister Septimus Marx. Septimus doesn’t want Colin to take the commission; in fact, he seems to be doing everything in his power to keep Colin from his hunt to find the Faileas a’ Chlaidheimh. Why doesn’t Septimus want Colin to find the grimoire? By the time he finds out, it’s too late for either Colin or Septimus to turn back from the dangerous path they’ve started down.

Take a journey unlike any you’ve ever before experienced with The Darkling Thrush. Josh Lanyon sweeps readers away to a world of fantasy and magick, where ancient legends lead to adventure and love brings together two perfectly-matched heroes. The Darkling Thrush is refreshingly different from anything I’ve read in a very long time. It’s also unlike any novel of Mr. Lanyon’s I’ve read so far, save for the facts that it’s elegantly written, beautifully constructed, and a delight to read from beginning to end. Colin is the hero who is readers’ guide through the story. The eager young librivenator is an intelligent, curious, and immensely likeable hero and I couldn’t help but get caught up in his quest for the Faileas a’ Chlaidheimh. Septimus, who is, understandably, the more mysterious one of the pair, captivated me from the start. He’s not a light character, but without giving anything away I’ll say that I found him entrancing. The path to happily ever after for Septimus and Colin is filled with twists and turns, roadblocks and seemingly insurmountable obstacles. Yet the romantic journey, woven in with Colin’s quest, was eminently satisfying. In fact, there wasn’t a moment of The Darkling Thrush that didn’t entertain. The Darkling Thrush is an original, bewitching read that is sure to charm anyone who reads it!