WitandSin

Wit and Sin

Jacob's Ladder - Z.A. Maxfield My review cross-posted from Joyfully Reviewed: http://www.joyfullyreviewed.com/new-reviews/jacobs-ladder-by-z-a-maxfield

When Jacob “Yasha” Livingston has to go home early from work because of a bad cold, he thinks his day can’t get any worse. When he walks into his apartment to find his boyfriend with three other men, he discovers he was wrong. Then the fight with his boyfriend becomes physical and Yasha – weakened from the cold – winds up even worse for wear. Yasha gets on a bus to visit his brother, but his bad luck hasn’t run out yet. He’s accused of having swine flu and gets kicked off the bus in the small town of Santo Ignatio, St. Nacho’s to the locals.

What Yasha doesn’t know is that fate has done him a favor. The town draws Yasha in, one member in particular. Jason “JT” Lents, an EMT who takes one look at Yasha and becomes determined to help him, is the stuff of Yasha’s most sensual fantasies. But Yasha soon discovers that JT is so deeply in the closet, so fearful of his real sexuality, that the opportunity for them to ever have an actual relationship might never become a reality.

Z.A. Maxfield’s St. Nacho’s series just gets better and better! Jacob’s Ladder is my favorite book so far in this incredible series. Yasha and JT are not only luscious heroes, but realistic characters that wind their way around your heart and make you yearn for them to find happiness. It’s not easy; Yasha has to find out what he really wants out of life and JT has to reconcile his view of homosexuality with who he is and accept himself for it. Neither man is infallible, but their mistakes make them even more relatable.

Jacob’s Ladder is the third book in the St. Nacho’s series, but it can be read as a standalone, though it has some teasers that makes me wish 1) that there is a book number four and 2) that the book would be about the sexy firefighter Cam and the man who I have high hopes will be his hero. Readers who loved the first two St. Nacho’s books (St. Nacho’s and Physical Therapy) will, however, delight in either seeing or hearing references to their favorite characters from those two books.

One of the things I love best about the St. Nacho’s series is the people and town itself. I’m continually captivated by the seemingly effortless way Ms. Maxfield blends together a diverse cast of characters in the welcoming town of St. Nacho’s. The town seems to wrap itself around everyone, from inhabitants to readers, which never fails to charm me. I love the fantastic town of St. Nacho’s and warm-hearted people in it. When can I move there?