WitandSin

Wit and Sin

Gentlemen Prefer Succubi - Jill Myles My review cross-posted from Joyfully Reviewed: http://www.joyfullyreviewed.com/reviews/Feb10/gentlemenprefersuccubi.jm.html

After Jackie Brighton wakes up in a dumpster, she finds out that being surrounded by trash with noodles in her hair is only the beginning of her problems. She’s had a hot and heavy one night stand with a gorgeous hunk whose name she can’t remember and has blood on her shirt and memories of some other stunner putting her in the less-than-desirable spot she woke up in. The upside of the weird events is that her chest size has dramatically increased and the rest of her figure has slimmed down. But she also has an abnormally insatiable sex drive. What could possibly be going on?

Mystery man number one happens to be Noah, a fallen angel, and he helps answer her questions. Jackie is now a succubus, an immortal temptress that attracts all men and leaves her with a hunger for sex that must be fulfilled. With the help of Noah and Remy, the only other succubus in town, Jackie begins to navigate the waters of her new life. Until a mistake sends Noah into the clutches of the vampire queen and Jackie is forced to find an ancient power-filled halo everyone wants, with only Remy and a vampire named Zane – who looks eerily like mystery man number two – to aid her on her hunt. With no one she can truly trust, a vampire and a fallen angel who both call to her, powers light and dark manipulating her, and an out-of-control libido, Jackie’s new immortal existence has just taken a dangerous edge.

There’s a new, sassy voice in paranormal fiction, and it’s Jill Myles. Gentlemen Prefer Succubi is a unique, intriguing read. Yet I must admit the book left me feeling a bit torn. I loved the plot. I give Ms. Myles full marks for making Gentlemen Prefer Succubi a page-turner and I appreciate the originality of the story. On the other hand, I couldn’t get attached to Jackie, who is the book’s focus and should have been the most developed character. While Jackie has attitude to spare, to me she lacked a defining personality. I found Noah and Zane far more captivating, and no, not because of their sex appeal. However, for reasons I won’t spoil, Noah doesn’t get much page time, and it seems that Ms. Myles is holding off on fully developing both his and Zane’s character until future books, which was a pity. I did adore the insatiable Remy, and was glad there was one character I could become emotionally attached to in the book.

There’s sex aplenty in Gentlemen Prefer Succubi, but a problem, for me, was that it is billed as a romance, and thus I started reading it expecting it to be one. It isn’t. For all the lust zapping around and even a dose of like that Jackie feels for Noah and Zane, readers who are looking to read a romance should give this book a pass. Gentlemen Prefer Succubi ends with a happy for now, but it felt forced. As a romance, Gentlemen Prefer Succubi misses the boat, but as a good paranormal read, it’s enjoyable. Now knowing what I’m getting into, I’m looking forward to reading the second Succubus Diaries book, Succubi Like It Hot, and seeing what happens next in Jackie’s world.