WitandSin

Wit and Sin

Dark Citadel - Cherise Sinclair My review cross-posted from Joyfully Reviewed: http://www.joyfullyreviewed.com/new-reviews/dark-citadel-by-cherise-sinclair

Schoolteacher Kari is both excited and nervous to be taking the beginners BDSM lessons at Club Shadowlands, a private fetish club. But when her date gets too out of hand during the first night, Kari is given the option of continuing with an experienced Dom, Master Dan. Master Dan is everything Kari could have hoped for in a Dom and more. He tests her limits and takes her to heights of pleasure she’s never before experienced. But Dan is still mourning the death of his wife three years earlier. He has no interest in relationships and Kari is very afraid she’s falling for the dark Dom. Can she break through the fortress that surrounds Dan’s heart and show him what it really means to live once more?

Prepare for one hell of a ride in the sinfully seductive Dark Citadel. Cherise Sinclair returns to the world of the Shadowlands in this second wonderful installment to her Masters of the Shadowlands series. I instantly fell in love with Kari. She’s an amazing heroine; nurturing, kind, but can stand her ground when she needs to. I flat-out adored her and so it might have been a bit hard for me to understand why Dan resisted her so. Master Dan, who was first introduced in Club Shadowlands, is still in mourning for his wife and doesn’t take a sub for more than one night. On the one hand, I understood this. On the other, his conflicting emotions and inability to stay away from Kari sometimes mean he messes with her heart and that broke mine in turn. I never felt he fully made it up to her, which is probably the root of the issue I had with him. Still, I think Dan and Kari are a great pair and, as with Club Shadowlands, I stayed up far too late reading Dark Citadel because I was so invested in the story.

Dark Citadel is the second book in the Masters of the Shadowlands series, but it can be read as a standalone. Jessica and Master Z, the hero and heroine of Club Shadowlands, both appear in Dark Citadel, which will delight fans of the first book. In addition, Ms. Sinclair brings back supporting characters from Club Shadowlands as well as introducing new Doms and subs which make me eager to continue the series. I must note, that one of the things I like most about the world of the Shadowlands is the attention Ms. Sinclair pays to security. Safe, sane, and consensual are more than words just thrown around; it’s strictly enforced in the Shadowlands and I highly appreciate that. Overall, I found Dark Citadel to be a fantastic story and I can’t wait to dive into the Masters of the Shadowlands world again with the next book, Breaking Free.