WitandSin

Wit and Sin

Breaking Free - Cherise Sinclair Recommended Read

My review cross-posted from Joyfully Reviewed: http://www.joyfullyreviewed.com/recommended-reviews/july-2010-recommended-reads/breaking-free-by-cherise-sinclair

After escaping a sadistic husband, Beth builds a new life in Florida. She’s frightened of ever being under the control of a man, but at the same time knows she craves being a submissive. Beth tries to solve her problems by picking only the inexperienced Doms at the Shadowlands, an exclusive fetish club, yet those Doms are never able to arouse her. Finally, the owner of the Shadowlands gives her an ultimatum: either take the Dom he assigns her or he’ll cancel her membership. Beth doesn’t want to lose the Shadowlands, so she agrees to the deal. Master Nolan, the Dom assigned to her, is the type of Dom Beth avoids – one that demands she utterly relinquishes control. Master Nolan commands her trust, takes her control, and takes Beth to heights of pleasure she’s never before experienced. The one thing Master Nolan will not accept is lying. And when Beth’s husband finds her, will her chance at happiness be crushed when Master Nolan finds out she’s deceived him?

Cherise Sinclair mixes seriousness, sensuality, and submission in the utterly fantastic Breaking Free. Beth is a heroine who has survived incredible torture at the hands of her husband and has the scars – inside and out – to show for it. She grabbed my heart, not only because of her inner strength, but because she makes mistakes with Nolan that were understandable given her past. Nolan, while outwardly frightening, is a deeply caring soul. He coaxes and commands Beth to trust in him and it’s not an easy job to be her Dom. Still, the two fit one another perfectly and, while filled with bumps, their road to happily ever after is an amazing journey to follow.

Breaking Free is the third book in the amazing Masters of the Shadowlands series. Each story is so different, yet the series as a whole blends together beautifully. Breaking Free can be read as a standalone, but fans of the series will delight in seeing the couples from the first two books (Club Shadowlands and Dark Citadel) again, along with everyone’s favorite club bartender, Master Cullen. As always, I am thrilled with how Ms. Sinclair includes the key concepts of “safe, sane, and consensual” in her books – a touch of realism mixed in with erotic fantasy. I admit, I’m trying to pace myself when it comes to Ms. Sinclair’s books because I fear running out of new things to read before her next story comes out. Still, I loved Breaking Free so much that I couldn’t stop myself from diving into the next Masters of the Shadowlands book, Lean on Me.

Breaking Free is a romance I know I’m going to find myself reading over and over again. Breaking Free is an incredible story; it engaged my emotions, captured my interest, brought a blush to my cheeks, and left me a supremely satisfied reader. Joyfully Recommended!