WitandSin

Wit and Sin

One Summer - JoAnn Ross My review cross-posted from Joyfully Reviewed: http://www.joyfullyreviewed.com/new-reviews/one-summer-by-joann-ross

Gabriel St. James’s life has been somewhat nomadic ever since leaving the Marines. The handsome photographer travels the country, never staying in one place too long, never letting anything – or anyone – tie him down. But all that changes when he comes to the small town of Shelter Bay, Oregon to take pictures at a friend’s wedding. Fate takes charge and sends Gabe into the path of veterinarian Charity Tiernan. Sparks fly between Gabe and Charity and Gabe finds himself extending his stay in Shelter Bay. He’s sure there’s no way his burgeoning relationship with Charity will last beyond the summer, but how can one summer with Charity ever be enough?

Return to the world of Shelter Bay in One Summer. JoAnn Ross delivers a lovely tale that’s warm and sweet without ever becoming saccharine. As in the first Shelter Bay novel, The Homecoming, Ms. Ross makes it easy to become invested in One Summer’s romance. Charity and Gabe are incredibly likeable heroes who have been through much to get where they are today. They both possess an inner strength and a core of honor that is sure to appeal to everyone who reads One Summer. Because I adored them, I was swept away into the world of One Summer and I found myself reluctant to put the book down whenever the outside world interrupted my reading time.

One Summer is the second Shelter Bay novel, but it can easily be read as a standalone. For those who enjoyed The Homecoming, Sax and Kara, the hero and heroine of that story, do appear in One Summer. As much as I liked The Homecoming, I loved One Summer even more. One Summer has romance, a light splash of intrigue, two wonderful protagonists, endearing supporting characters, and an enchanting, fast-paced rhythm, making it the perfect summer read.