WitandSin

Wit and Sin

The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie -  Jennifer Ashley Recommended Read, Best of 2011 pick

My review cross-posted from Joyfully Reviewed: http://www.joyfullyreviewed.com/recommended-reviews/september-2011-recommended-reads/the-madness-of-lord-ian-mackenzie-by-jennifer-ashley

In a family full of scandalous men, Ian Mackenzie stands out. Society thinks him mad, and rumors abound about the years he spent locked in an asylum. Widow Beth Ackerley has heard the gossip, but nevertheless she’s drawn to the handsome Scottish lord. His intelligence and honesty suit her far better than the machinations of other gentlemen. Not to mention the fact that attraction sparks between them in an instant. Ian might be unusual, but then, so is Beth. Will two people who’ve never quite fit in find their perfect match in one another?

No matter how many times I read The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie, each time I open the book, I am immediately drawn into one of the most incredible stories I’ve ever read. Jennifer Ashley rocketed to the top of my auto-buy list with this book. The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie has unique characters and a passionate love story, all wrapped into one phenomenally entertaining tale.

Ian is one of my favorite characters of all time. He’s a deliciously sexy hero whose absolute loyalty to those he cares about won my heart immediately. Ian’s “madness” referenced in the title and in the book itself is not actual insanity, but rather Asperger’s Syndrome (a form of high-functioning autism). He’s treated as mad by everyone around him, as the story takes place long before anyone heard of Asperger’s. I give Ms. Ashley high marks for not under-playing this aspect of Ian’s character, but I give her even more credit for not letting it overpower who he is either. There’s a delicate balance to be had and Ms. Ashley hits all the right notes.

I could go on about Ian, but I’d be doing The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie a disservice if I didn’t write about Beth. She’s a fantastic heroine: intelligent, hardworking, practical, passionate, and loving. I adored how taken she was with Ian and I loved how she stood up for him, even when it came to his well-meaning brothers. Ian and Beth fit one another perfectly. Separately, each shines, but together they are what makes The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie a must-read.

The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie is the first book in Ms. Ashley’s Highland Pleasures series and I cannot wait to read about the rest of the Highland Pleasures books. Ian’s brothers are all unusual in their own way and Ms. Ashley makes them come to life every bit as much as she does Beth and Ian. I finished The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie wanting to dive right into the next book, Lady Isabella’s Scandalous Marriage. I Joyfully Recommend The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie. Readers are sure to fall in love with Beth, Ian, and the entire Mackenzie family!