WitandSin

Wit and Sin

Once Bitten - Clare Willis My review cross-posted from Joyfully Reviewed: http://www.joyfullyreviewed.com/reviews/Feb10/oncebitten.cw.html

When Angie McCaffrey’s boss goes missing, she’s concerned, naturally, but she’s also happy to take the lead on the advertising accounts she’s worked so hard on. Angie’s most unusual client is Macabre Factor, a business that carters to people living the “vampire lifestyle.” If the account wasn’t odd enough, her clients’ friend, Eric Taylor, would tip the scales. Eric is the stuff straight out of fantasies: handsome and alluring. He also happens to have some strangely sharp teeth…

Then Angie’s boss turns up dead and exsanguinated and Angie has to figure out if the man she’s swiftly falling for is as perfect as he seems or if he’s a murderer whose next victim may be Angie.

Clare Willis takes a bite out of vampire lore with Once Bitten. It’s a fast-paced, entertaining tale with a very likeable heroine. Angie is a well-developed character whose kindness and integrity make her easy to become attached to. While I enjoyed reading her story, I was sad to find the romance a bit lacking. Eric seemed like a fascinating hero, but Ms. Willis doesn’t give readers a chance to really know him. I saw no reason for he and Angie to fall in love with one another and their declarations of love seemed to come out of nowhere. Still, I found Ms. Willis’s writing style to be charming and her obvious affection for the city of San Francisco matches my own. Once Bitten is Ms. Willis’s debut book and I look forward to seeing what her imagination conjures up next.