WitandSin

Wit and Sin

Wickedly Good - Anya Breton My review cross-posted from Joyfully Reviewed: http://www.joyfullyreviewed.com/new-reviews/wickedly-good-by-anya-breton

Air witch Gemma Erjon has lusted after Drew Haizea for years. Now back from London, grown up and a few pounds lighter, Gemma is determined to seduce the man who never saw her as more than the housekeeper’s daughter. And seduce him she does. When the lights go out, things get seriously naughty. However, there’s something she doesn’t know…

Aston Haizea is sick of his engaged younger brother’s lying, cheating ways. He’s not about to let Gemma fall into Drew’s trap, so he sets out to confront her. The only problem is, Gemma has never seen him as more than the scary coven priest. When he goes to confront Gemma, things go a bit awry. The lights are out before he can reveal his identity and when Gemma presses against him, Aston can’t help but give in to his desire for her. It’s a tricky game Aston is playing, and the harder he falls for Gemma, the more he wonders what will happen when she learns which Haizea is her lover.

Sabrina gets a paranormal twist with Wickedly Good. I loved the premise of the book and the paranormal politics author Anya Breton brings to the story are interesting. However, the story fizzled in the second half. To say something positive, the sex scenes are erotic and the paranormal elements are interesting (if a bit underdeveloped). However, while Aston does some less-than-honorable things, he’s generally a likeable, interesting hero. Unfortunately, Gemma goes from being a decent — if unbelievably naïve — heroine to being downright frustrating. Though I won’t spoil the book, some of the things she does near the end of the story are, in my opinion, unforgiveable, vindictive, and childish. Because I finished Wickedly Good not liking the heroine or understanding how Aston could be in love with her, the story left a bit of a bad taste in my mouth. Wickedly Good is the first book of Ms. Breton’s I’ve read and while I don’t think I’ll be reading it again, I would pick up another of her stories.