WitandSin

Wit and Sin

Down for the Count (Dare Me Series, #1)
Christine Bell
What Happens in Scotland - Jennifer McQuiston My review cross-posted from Joyfully Reviewed: http://www.joyfullyreviewed.com/new-reviews/what-happens-in-scotland-by-jennifer-mcquiston

Lady Georgette Thorold is ready to enjoy the freedoms a widow is entitled. She has no desire to marry ever again, which is why it comes as a shock to her when she wakes up in a Scottish inn with a wedding ring on her finger, a handsome man in bed next to her, and no memory of how she acquired the ring or the naked man calling her “wife.” Georgette does what any other panicked woman would do in such a scenario — she clocks the man over the head with a chamber pot and flees.

James MacKenzie isn’t sure if he’s married to the mysterious lady who ran from him, but he is determined to find her. She has, after all, made off with his money. When James does find Georgette, the two of them try to figure out what happened to them the night before. Are they married? More importantly, do they want to be? The answer to both questions isn’t quite as simple as Georgette and James first believe.

The Hangover meets historical romance in Jennifer McQuiston’s lively debut novel. What Happens in Scotland is a bit of a madcap romp through a small Scottish town, but Ms. McQuiston’s energetic writing style makes it an enjoyable madcap romp.

Much of What Happens in Scotland centers around Georgette and James piecing together what happened to them right before the story begins. Because of this, it takes until almost halfway through the book before Georgette and James meet up (excluding, of course, the very beginning of the book where they wake up in the inn). While this isn’t a problem, per se, it does mean that there isn’t much space for the love story part of the book to develop. Indeed, the only thing I didn’t fully enjoy about this historical romance was the romance. I have no problem with love at first sight or love within the first twenty-four hours of meeting, but I finished What Happens in Scotland feeling like Georgette and James didn’t really know each other well enough for me to be satisfied with the story’s ending.

Though I had a bit of an issue with the way Georgette and James’s romance played out, I still greatly enjoyed What Happens in Scotland. The story is fast-paced and fun with plenty of quirky characters that made me smile. Ms. McQuiston has an addictive writing style and I’m very much looking forward to reading her next book.