WitandSin

Wit and Sin

Down for the Count (Dare Me Series, #1)
Christine Bell
Whiskey Beach - Nora Roberts My review cross-posted from Joyfully Reviewed: http://www.joyfullyreviewed.com/new-reviews/whiskey-beach-by-nora-roberts

After a year spent at the center of a murder investigation, Boston lawyer Eli Landon has taken refuge at Bluff House, his family’s home in Whiskey Beach. Eli’s tired of the spotlight and the accusing stares from people who believed he killed his wife during their acrimonious divorce. He wants peace and finds it at Bluff House. Until housekeeper/yoga instructor/massage therapist/jewelry designer Abra Walsh turns his world upside down. Abra seems determined to bring Eli back into the world of the living — whether he likes it or not. But there’s someone in Whiskey Beach who’d like to do more than see Abra fail. Someone’s out to destroy Eli Landon, and they’ll kill anyone who gets in their way.

Nora Roberts takes readers on an engrossing journey of love, lust, betrayal, and treasure in Whiskey Beach and I, for one, could not be more delighted.

In many ways, Whiskey Beach is Eli’s story. Eli’s a successful criminal attorney who lost a lot of himself when he was accused of murdering his soon-to-be-ex wife. He’s been hounded more than anyone could handle and it’s no surprise he begins the story a bit broken. I loved watching Eli develop over the course of Whiskey Beach. Seeing him come out of the darkness thanks, in large part, to Abra, was a joy all of its own. And speaking of Abra… What a heroine. She bursts onto the page with a palpable energy that endeared her to me from the start. I adored her strength, charm, and attitude toward life. The romance between her and Eli develops so smoothly over the course of the book that I was amazed; no one can write such flawlessly organic love stories like Ms. Roberts. Separately and together, Eli and Abra are dynamic and are sure to draw readers into the world of Whiskey Beach.

A healthy dose of intrigue from not one, but two mysteries rounds out Whiskey Beach. Buried treasure and murder ensure there’s quite a bit of suspense and keep Whiskey Beach moving at a quick clip. I won’t say much about these storylines other than they’re excellently crafted and even if you can see what’s going to happen, the way Ms. Roberts writes the story each revelation and action sequence is still exciting.

The Queen of Romance has delivered another winner with Whiskey Beach and I look forward to re-reading Eli and Abra’s tale again and again and again!