WitandSin

Wit and Sin

Down for the Count (Dare Me Series, #1)
Christine Bell
Calculated in Death - J.D. Robb Blue Ribbon Rating: 4 out of 5
Original Review Link

By all outward appearances, the death of Marta Dickenson seems to be the result of a mugging gone wrong. But to NYPSD Lieutenant Eve Dallas, things just don’t add up. The evidence Eve and her partner find lead them to believe that the accountant was murdered. After someone steals files from Marta’s office, it becomes clear that Eve will have to dig into the world of big business in order to find the killer. With the help of her husband, Roarke, Eve will delve into the world of finance to find someone calculating enough to order the death of an innocent woman. And Eve better hurry, because Marta’s death will only be the first of many, if the killer has his way.

I can always count on J.D. Robb to deliver an enjoyable story, and that’s just what she does in CALCULATED IN DEATH. The thirty-sixth novel in the IN DEATH series is a slow burn read; it takes a while for momentum to build, but once it does, you’ll be unable to put the book down.

CALCULATED IN DEATH is primarily a case-centric book, and it’s a delight to see Eve slightly out of her element as she navigates the world of corporate finance. It doesn’t hurt that she has the biggest name in business sitting across from her at the breakfast table every morning. As always, the way Eve and Roarke play off each other while she’s working a case provides entertainment and gives insight into how each of their minds work. Indeed, it’s the small moments rather than the case itself that give CALCULATED IN DEATH its spark. The byplay between Eve and her partner, Peabody, the glimpses into the dynamic of Eve and Roarke’s relationship, the way an element of the case can help Eve come to terms with an aspect of her past… All of these things come together to make CALCULATED IN DEATH a pleasure for a fan of the IN DEATH series to read.

Ms. Robb has a way of engaging the reader all throughout the book with the twists and turns that Eve’s cases take. This holds true for CALCULATED IN DEATH — even the twists you can predict are written in such a way that you’re not going to want to stop turning those pages by the time you reach the story’s climax. While not as emotionally-charged as some of the other IN DEATH books, CALCULATED IN DEATH is still an excellent story and I cannot wait for Ms. Robb’s next foray into Eve and Roarke’s world.

Note: My review was written for Romance Junkies and is cross-posted here courtesy of Romance Junkies.