WitandSin

Wit and Sin

Down for the Count (Dare Me Series, #1)
Christine Bell
Crystal Cove  - Lisa Kleypas My review cross-posted from Joyfully Reviewed: http://www.joyfullyreviewed.com/new-reviews/crystal-cove-by-lisa-kleypas

Justine Hoffman is cursed — literally. Someone has put a spell on her that makes her incapable of falling in love. Desperate to be normal, Justine breaks the curse…just in time for the arrival of enigmatic videogame developer Jason Black. Jason’s a man with a mystical problem of his own, but that doesn’t put a damper on the immediate attraction Justine feels for him. Yet even as they fall in love, complications arise. Because in breaking the curse, Justine might have set something in motion that could cost her the very love she’s always yearned for.

Witches and curses and covens – oh my! The Friday Harbor series goes slightly Practical Magic in Crystal Cove. Lisa Kleypas is an amazing writer and I enjoyed Crystal Cove, but the book was missing that ineffable Kleypas magic. All the elements of a great story were there, but Justine and Jason never quite came to life in the way that Ms. Kleypas’s characters usually do and their love story didn’t really feel organic. That being said, Crystal Cove zinged along at a fast pace and the secondary characters made the story lively. Priscilla Fiveash, Jason’s sassy executive assistant brought a particular spark to the story that left me hoping Ms. Kleypas writes a story for her.

Crystal Cove is the fourth book in the Friday Harbor series, but it can be read as a standalone. I do, however, recommend reading Christmas Eve at Friday Harbor, Rainshadow Road, and Dream Lake simply because they are enchanting reads. While Crystal Cove didn’t appeal to me the way Ms. Kleypas’s books normally do, I still had a good time reading it and I’ll be one of the first in line for her next book.