WitandSin

Wit and Sin

Down for the Count (Dare Me Series, #1)
Christine Bell
Legacy - Vivi Anna My review cross-posted from Joyfully Reviewed: http://www.joyfullyreviewed.com/new-reviews/legacy-by-vivi-anna

Jovan Davenport is the black sheep of his family. His eagerness to use his magic is at odds with his father’s position governing the League of Illusion — a council that seeks to keep knowledge of magic from mortals. But with his father deathly ill, Jovan has no choice but to team up with his estranged brother, Rhys. The two are tasked with finding their missing brother, Sebastian, so that he can take his place as the head of the League before the evil, power-hungry Hawthorne clan can take over. To succeed in his quest, Jovan will need the help of a tracker. And not just any tracker, but druid Skylar Vanguard, the woman Jovan loved and lost seven years ago.

Brought together by necessity, Skylar and Jovan discover that even seven years apart cannot dispel the feelings they have for one another. Yet with Darin Hawthorne at their heels, determined to stop them from finding Sebastian, will Skylar and Jovan live long enough to rekindle their romance?

I have mixed feelings about Legacy. To begin with the good, I really liked the overarching premise of the League of Illusion series. The hunt for a missing sibling may not be a new trope, but Vivi Anna makes the hunt for Sebastian an engaging storyline that has me eager to read the next book in the series. With a bit of refinement (the paranormal and steampunk aspects of Legacy weren’t as streamlined as I would have liked), the world of the League of Illusion could be fascinating. I’m greatly looking forward to seeing how Ms. Anna’s worldbuilding develops over the course of the series.

At the heart of Legacy are Jovan and Skylar and this, I fear, is where the story fell flat for me. Neither hero nor heroine is particularly endearing (though they aren’t unlikeable) and there was no real pull to the romance for me. It’s hard for me to enjoy a story where I’m not invested in the protagonists. And while I love a good reunion romance, once revealed, the reason Skylar and Jovan were apart for seven years did not live up to the buildup. The obstacles in Jovan and Skylar’s relationship seemed to be a bit too easily overcome. As for the story’s villain, Darin Hawthorne seemed a bit too much the typical villain to really get me interested. However, I’m intrigued by Jovan’s brothers, so while Legacy may not go on my keeper shelf, I’m definitely going to read the next League of Illusion book, Prophecy.