WitandSin

Wit and Sin

Down for the Count (Dare Me Series, #1)
Christine Bell

Review: A Breach of Promise by Victoria Vane

A Breach of Promise - Victoria Vane

My review cross-posted from Joyfully Reviewed: http://www.joyfullyreviewed.com/new-reviews/a-breach-of-promise-by-victoria-vane

At seventeen, Lydia Trent was highly anticipating her marriage to Marcus, Lord Russell. Six years later, Lydia has still not made it to the altar and her patience with Marcus is at an end. She writes her wayward fiancé and requests that he release her from their betrothal.

Marcus hasn’t given Lydia much thought, but now that she’s ready to leave him, he’s determined to use every seductive trick he knows to keep her as his bride. But Lydia’s not the biddable young woman he remembers; she’s blossomed into a willful beauty who tempts Marcus. Now he’ll have to win her heart…and Marcus has no doubt that doing so will be a most pleasurable job for him.

A Breach of Promise is a somewhat problematic story to review. On the one hand, I liked Lydia very much. She’s been patient with Marcus, but six years of waiting for him to remember her would try anyone’s patience. I was rooting for Lydia to bring Marcus around, even though for much of the book I don’t think he deserved her. Marcus is where I ran into some problems with A Breach of Promise. To put it plainly, Marcus is a jerk who only becomes interested in Lydia when he sees that she’s now beautiful. Even making allowances for his behavior given the time period, Marcus didn’t seem to grow much as a character over the course of the story. His declarations of love didn’t feel organic to the story, but I honestly did like A Breach of Promise. Even though Marcus wasn’t an appealing hero, Victoria Vane’s writing style is such that I enjoyed the story overall. I’m not sure I’ll ever re-read A Breach of Promise, but I will be on the lookout for more of Ms. Vane’s work.

Source: http://www.joyfullyreviewed.com/new-reviews/a-breach-of-promise-by-victoria-vane