WitandSin

Wit and Sin

Lord of the Wolfyn - Jessica Andersen My review is posted on Joyfully Reviewed: http://www.joyfullyreviewed.com/new-reviews/lord-of-the-wolfyn-by-jessica-andersen

Once upon a time, an evil sorcerer attacked the kingdom of Elden, murdering the king and queen. With their last bit of magic, the queen transported their four children to different areas and the king filled them with the need to avenge their parents’ deaths.

Dayn, the second son of the king and queen, found himself in the Wolfyn realm. He knows that one day a woman will come. Her arrival will start the countdown that Elden’s future depends on. Dayn will need to return home and reunite with his siblings in order to defeat the Blood Sorcerer. So Dayn waits, and twenty years later, Reda Weston falls through the vortex and into his life. But Reda is human and her knowledge of magic comes only from the fairytales she heard growing up. How can a human and an outcast prince hope to survive the dangers that lurk at almost every turn of their journey?

The Royal House of Shadows quartet just gets better and better! Lord of the Wolfyn is my favorite book to date in this multi-author series. Jessica Andersen delivers a story with romance, magic, and character growth that I found highly entertaining.

Reda grew up captivated by an unusual edition of “Little Red Riding Hood.” It’s more than a bit of a surprise to her that not only do the wolfyn exist, the woodsman of her dreams is Dayn in the flesh. I like the way Ms. Andersen developed Reda’s character. Reda isn’t perfect. She’s strong, but fearful, and that fear sometimes causes her to freeze up. It was a joy to watch her come into herself, to gain that confidence with which to overcome her problems. I grew to respect and admire Reda for the brave woman she was. Dayn, in turn, is a little more complex than his siblings from Gena Showalter’s Lord of the Vampires and Jill Monroe’s Lord of Rage. Whereas Nicolai and Breena began focused primarily on survival and revenge, Dayn seems a little more balanced, perhaps due in part to his powers and connection to his father. His level-headed nature is complemented by his ferocity as a warrior and his tenderness toward Reda. I like that he doesn’t baby her when she’s struggling, but he doesn’t dismiss or look down on her for the problems she has. Reda and Dayn were a perfect match, making it easy to root for them to get their own version of the fairytale happily ever after.

Lord of the Wolfyn is the third book in the Royal House of Shadows series, but readers won’t miss anything if they choose to read Reda and Dayn’s story before reading Lord of the Vampires or Lord of Rage. There’s no overlap in the first three books, though I assume that everything will come together in the final story, Nalini Singh’s Lord of the Abyss. The world Mses. Andersen, Showalter, Monroe, and Singh have created is fascinating and unique; the four talented authors have me wishing there were more books in the series so that I could explore more of the world.

Lord of the Wolfyn is much more fun and fascinating than “Little Red Riding Hood” ever could be. This is the first time I’ve read a book by Ms. Andersen and I can definitely say I want to read more of her work!