WitandSin

Wit and Sin

Review: How to Love a Duke in Ten Days by Kerrigan Byrne

How to Love a Duke in Ten Days (Devil You Know) - Kerrigan Byrne

4.75 stars - Reviewed for Wit and Sin

How to Love a Duke in Ten Days a heartbreaking, evocative read. It’s a tale of survivors, strength, healing, and love. Kerrigan Byrne has a talent for penning vivid, lush romances that suck me right in and this book was no exception.

I want to start by giving a trigger warning: Alexandra is a rape survivor and the night she was raped is depicted in the prologue. The assault, the pain, the invisible scars she carries and how her life was changed forever are all central to the plot. It tore at my heart and I teared up at least once over the course of the story. I appreciated the way Ms. Byrne handled sexual assault and the impact it has on survivors. Alexandra is brilliant, strong, loving, and vulnerable and she grabbed my heart. I wanted her to find happiness with Piers, the so-called “Terror of Torcliff.” Piers’s scarred visage and brute strength turn off many, but not Alexandra. I loved that his strength was matched by softness, that he was someone she could lean on. The two of them have fantastic chemistry. Scenes between them fairly crackle with energy and they’re a perfect match in every way. I adored their wit and banter; I’m hoping they show up in future Devil You Know books because they can be so much fun together.

Piers and Alexandra each have their own reasons for wanting to marry even though they’re practically strangers. And once they’re wed, their histories mean that trust isn’t easily given. Their romance has its fair share of obstacles and setbacks while their burgeoning bond is fragile. There were a few times I wanted to shout at Piers, to make him see what he’s missing, but given his past experiences his blind spots are understandable. How to Love a Duke in Ten Days isn’t an easy read, emotionally speaking. But there’s beauty and hope in Piers and Alexandra’s romance and I loved that.

How to Love a Duke in Ten Days is the first book in the Devil You Know series and it also introduces the Red Rogues, Alexandra and her two best friends. Alexandra, Cecilia, and Francesca’s friendship is as important to the story as the romance. Their bond, their pure love and support of one another is a treasure. Each of these strong, vibrant women is compelling in their own unique way and I cannot wait to read Cecilia and Francesca’s books.

Source: http://witandsin.blogspot.com/2019/08/review-how-to-love-duke-in-ten-days-by.html