WitandSin

Wit and Sin

Review: Sapphire Flames by Ilona Andrews

Sapphire Flames (Hidden Legacy #4) -  Ilona Andrews

4.25 stars - Reviewed for Wit and Sin

Return to a world of magic and power, where politics are as important as breathing and bloodlines matter above all. In Sapphire Flames, Ilona Andrews delivers all the action, adventure, banter, and simmering passion I’ve come to expect from the Hidden Legacy series.

Catalina Baylor is a Prime and Head of her House, but she’s also young and finding her way. She’s clever, strong, and has learned from the best. But she’s still forging her path in this book and I liked watching her start to come into her own. It’s not easy. The grace period that prevents other Houses from attacking hers is coming to an end and Catalina is still an unknown quantity to most Primes. The case she takes on – tracking a powerful killer most Primes wouldn’t mess with – shows Catalina’s heart, integrity, skills, and general badassness. I loved learning how she thinks things through and seeing her find confidence in the powers she has suppressed for so long.

Danger lurks around every corner and there’s no way Catalina can fight evil alone. She needs allies, and none are better than her family and friends. Their magic is fascinating and their characters are all unique, fun, and endearing. They add heart to the often political and violent world of Primes and I couldn’t adore them more. And if you think I’d forget Catalina’s most important ally – or is it enemy? – you’d be wrong. Alessandro Sagredo, handsome, powerful, wealthy, playboy…assassin? Catalina’s teenage crush has grown into a mysterious and dangerous man with secrets I cannot wait to uncover. What his role is, I’ll leave readers to discover. But I will say I did enjoy the chemistry he and Catalina had. The two of them strike sparks, but the emotional component of their potential romance did feel a bit rushed. Still, I look forward to seeing how they develop as a couple over the next two books.

Sapphire Flames kicks off a new trilogy set in the world of the Hidden Legacy series. There’s a new plot that will presumably continue through the series and quite a few interesting developments I look forward to watching unfold. There is a lot going on in this book and a few things (that would be major spoilers to talk about) felt rushed. However, I take this book as a third of a whole story so I expect things will develop better in future books now that the initial groundwork has been laid. All in all, I thoroughly enjoyed the beginning of Catalina and Alessandro’s journey. They’re fascinating characters in a unique world spun by two masters of the craft. I can’t wait to see where Ilona Andrews takes them next!

Source: http://witandsin.blogspot.com/2019/08/review-sapphire-flames-by-ilona-andrews.html