WitandSin

Wit and Sin

Down for the Count (Dare Me Series, #1)
Christine Bell

Review: The Art of Sinning by Sabrina Jeffries

The Art of Sinning - Sabrina Jeffries

Reviewed for Joyfully Reviewed

American artist Jeremy Keane is far more interested in completing his next masterpiece than running the family textile mills.  He’s also far more interested in rakish pursuits than settling down.  It would take someone out of the ordinary to capture his interest, and Lady Yvette Barlow is exactly that person.  Jeremy is captivated by her from the first and is desperate to paint her.  Now if only he can convince her…

Yvette can spot a scoundrel a mile away, and having been burned once by a rake she is in no hurry to repeat the experience.  But Jeremy catches her off-guard, tempts her and challenges her in ways she’s never known.  And the more time they spend together, the harder it is for either of them to resist the passion brewing between them.  But both Jeremy and Yvette have ghosts that haunt them.  Ghosts that might keep them from ever risking their hearts for a chance at love.

Sabrina Jeffries kicks off her Sinful Suitors series with the utterly charming The Art of Sinning.  Yvette and Jeremy are winning characters and their romance was lovely to watch unfold.  Yvette is outspoken, bright, and a truly fun heroine.  It’s easy to see why Jeremy is taken with her.  She’s no ordinary woman but a veritable Juno (to borrow Jeremy’s favorite description of her).  Not to mention her unusual interests – her work to build a slang dictionary had me grinning.  Yvette has a lot of love to give, but she was badly betrayed in the past and thus is wary of rakes.  And boy is Jeremy a rake in the beginning.  He’s a bold artist, one who wears the mask of rogue rather well.  But beneath the surface is a man with scars caused by the death of his wife and child – scars that have never truly healed.  I loved watching both Yvette and Jeremy come into their own as they worked to leave the past behind, though taking leaps of faith comes more easily to Yvette than Jeremy.

As individuals, Yvette and Jeremy are great characters. But as a couple, they shine.  Their banter made me grin more than once over the course of the story.  They’re so well-matched in every way that it’s easy to root for them.  Their love story develops organically; I liked that they fit as both friends and lovers.  It isn’t easy for them to get their happily ever after, but Ms. Jeffries makes every bump in the road worth it.  The result is a romance that’s emotional as well as sensual and I couldn’t have been more pleased.  I finished The Art of Sinning one well-satisfied reader and I cannot wait to see what Ms. Jeffries has in store for Yvette’s brother, Edwin.

Source: http://www.joyfullyreviewed.net/reviewparent/art-sinning-sabrina-jeffries